Async Message Passing Mechanism Wanted

John Ramsden

Is there a Perl module that implements a low-overhead FIFO
(order-preserving) async message passing mechanism and works
on Windows and Unix?

It only needs to run locally, but it must allow message queuing,
with no practical limit on the buffer size (which rules out pipes),
in case the receiver can't keep up with the sender.

Better still would be an async message passing layer above TCP
that could be used the same way remotely.

I don't want all the setup and data-formatting complications and
overheads of email, just something like a socket connection for
which I need not worry about buffer overflows.

(My app involves several clients each periodically sending bursts
of data to a central server. I currently use TCP socket links,
and am starting to suffer data loss when several agents are
active.)

I've been looking at a package called Spread (www.spread.org),
which is highly-regarded and has been developed over several
years. But this seems more geared up for one-to-many sessions
and doesn't appear to emphasise the buffering aspect which I
need.

Any suggestions gratefully received...

Cheers

John Ramsden ([email protected])