    I have not time to study and test them. I think to grab AnyEvent and
    work with it.
    What do think from your experience, is it a good choise ?
    George Mpouras, May 13, 2013

  2. George Mpouras <>
    writes:
    > there are numerous event/parallel based modules at cpan.
    > I have not time to study and test them. I think to grab AnyEvent and
    > work with it.
    > What do think from your experience, is it a good choise ?

    So far, I've written three 'larger' (>10,000 LOC) perl programs
    structured around an 'sychronous I/O multiplexing'. The first one used
    IO:poll but I abandoned the idea of ever using that again after
    looking at the implementation (because it destroyed and recreated the
    'interest set' data structure for every poll call). For the second, I
    used a 'saner' poll module I wrote myself but I've since lost the
    right to use this code. For the third, I needed a quick solution and
    because of this, I wrote two small extension modules making
    sigwaitinfo(2) and the Linux 'struct siginfo' available to Perl and
    used (Linux-specific) queued realtime signals for I/O readiness
    notification.

    I wouldn't want to use any 'event module' for the same reason I
    wouldn't want to use any YARFPOO or any kind of 'C string library':
    This is reasonably simple stuff hobbyists in search of 'fun
    programming projects' delight in solving and the reason why there are
    10^5 different ways to do the same is because all are deficient in
    this or that aspect: Despite they are seriously over-generalized for
    the needs of any single program, the problem itself is sufficiently
    ill-defined that a sensible 'one size fits all' solution simply
    doesn't exist.
    Rainer Weikusat, May 13, 2013