    some restrictions and timeouts that are set by the hosting companies? I use
    shared hosting.

    -M
    Max, Oct 17, 2003

  2. Max

    Hans Kesting Guest

    "Max" <> wrote in message
    news:_qOjb.154094$...
    > Just a simple question, can I run an asyc process on the server (with
    > ASP.NET) for hours at a time to do things like send bulk emails? Are there
    > some restrictions and timeouts that are set by the hosting companies? I

    use
    > shared hosting.
    >
    > -M

    Are you sure that your hosting company will allow spamming?
    It might give high CPU/bandwidth usage, which will be a problem in a
    shared environment.

    Hans Kesting
    Hans Kesting, Oct 17, 2003

  3. Max

    Max Guest

    I have a client with a small opt-in mailing list of about 2000 email
    addresses. I'd like to use ASP.NET to help automate this, including adding
    an instant removal system. So I'm asking if using an async process would
    work here, before I dig into the code. I saw an example of it done with web
    services, so I figure the same would work for the mail object.

    With the removal system, I figure I could write a mail client in asp.net to
    hit the POP3 and check returned messages for reject keywords under that
    account. That's step 2 though.

    -M

    Max, Oct 17, 2003
  4. Max

    dave wanta Guest

    2000 emails is really not that much at all. There isn't any need for
    async handling.

    I've run into this situtaion before with my customers. So I've
    written a tutorial to do this.

    Although it focuses on my component, if you are starting to program
    async sockets, you should be able to easily port the technique to your
    own needs.

    Sending 1000s of emails from a web page without timing out
    http://www.aspnetemail.com/samples/webmailer/

    Also, consider writing to the SMTP Pickup directory, then you don't
    have to worry about network issues

    Writing to Queue Directories
    http://www.aspnetemail.com/help/welcome/queue_intro.html

    hth,