async process for bulk emailer

Max

Just a simple question, can I run an asyc process on the server (with
ASP.NET) for hours at a time to do things like send bulk emails? Are there
some restrictions and timeouts that are set by the hosting companies? I use
shared hosting.

-M

Hans Kesting

Max said:
Just a simple question, can I run an asyc process on the server (with
ASP.NET) for hours at a time to do things like send bulk emails? Are there
some restrictions and timeouts that are set by the hosting companies? I use
shared hosting.

-M

Are you sure that your hosting company will allow spamming?
It might give high CPU/bandwidth usage, which will be a problem in a
shared environment.

Hans Kesting

Max

I have a client with a small opt-in mailing list of about 2000 email
addresses. I'd like to use ASP.NET to help automate this, including adding
an instant removal system. So I'm asking if using an async process would
work here, before I dig into the code. I saw an example of it done with web
services, so I figure the same would work for the mail object.

With the removal system, I figure I could write a mail client in asp.net to
hit the POP3 and check returned messages for reject keywords under that
account. That's step 2 though.

-M

dave wanta

2000 emails is really not that much at all. There isn't any need for
async handling.

I've run into this situtaion before with my customers. So I've
written a tutorial to do this.

Although it focuses on my component, if you are starting to program
async sockets, you should be able to easily port the technique to your
own needs.

Sending 1000s of emails from a web page without timing out
http://www.aspnetemail.com/samples/webmailer/

Also, consider writing to the SMTP Pickup directory, then you don't
have to worry about network issues

Writing to Queue Directories
http://www.aspnetemail.com/help/welcome/queue_intro.html

hth,