Async web services / asp.net 2.0 web parts / Ajax

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by tg, Nov 14, 2006.

  1. tg

    tg Guest

    Hello,

    This is more of a design question. I am trying to understand how to use
    async web service invocation for asp.net 2.0 web parts with an Ajax
    style update / data rendering.

    I have a web page with a search box on top & 2 web parts that display
    search results using web services. Currently, I am calling these web
    services synchronously (which takes a while).

    I tried invoking these web services in an async fashion ( using this
    excellent article by Fritz Onion
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/06/07/ExtremeASPNET/default.aspx
    ) but my page still reloads to display the results.

    I would really like to have the web parts rendered as the results are
    returned. I tried using ASP/AJAX (aka Atlas) but could not get it to
    work for a function call from the page itself. It only worked in an
    Ajax manner for web part events such as a button click event in the web
    part itself).

    Can someone offer insight / general guidance? I promise to post my
    findings if guided in the right direction.

    Thanks,

    Tg
    tg, Nov 14, 2006