asynchronous asp.net

Alex Wagner

could somebody show me how to asynchronously call some methods from a web
service? I'm kind of fuzzy on delegates, IAsyncResult, etc...

1. web service is being called by outside source
2. web service calls method "startProcessing" in business layer
a. fires off asynchronous method querying database and generating
reports
3. method "startProcessing" returns a string indicating that report
generation was started successfully.
4. outside source may come back to query the status of the report generation
(I would probably look at the db for that information) but not essential.

some pseudo code with the important elements would be great!

Thanks!

bruce barker

you web service has two method calls

startProcessing, which validates the input, starts a thread to do the work,
then returns
checkStatus, which returns the status of the process, and if done, the
results

note: to prevent denial of service attacks, you should use a pool of threads
and track the number of concurrent requests.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Alex Wagner

would you have code samples for that?