asynchronous callback component

Guest

We have an asp.net application that will also use MSMQ. When a client makes
a request, we want to check several databases and put each response in MSMQ.
We don't want the client to wait for all responses to come back. We were
wondering if there is some component that will sit on the client and listen
for call backs from the the server. We are also concidering using AJAX to
poll MSMQ every 5 seconds and show any new responses. Has anyone had any
experience with this?

bruce barker

in general the server can not open a port to the client. you can write a
java applet (or active/x component) that holds open a port to the server
and listens for messages. but this tis up resources. the more common
approach is ajax polling.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Guest

As Bruce indicated, you have a disconnected client which is essentially a web
page sitting in the user's browser, so you are limited to client-side
javascript.

The MS ASP.NET AJAX framework has a Timer control, and the Anthem.Net AJAX
framework has a similar control. These basically do a Javascript setTimeout
call that makes a behind - the scenes call to your page's method that would
do a receive on the MessageQueue object to get and process the results.
Peter

Guest

I'm trying to do the same thing...
Are there any good examples on how to do the Active/x inside of the Web
client-side?