    of the processes, and returns when they are done.

    Are there other options? Which of the two can you recommend?

    - Thomas

    Thomas Nielsen, Jul 11, 2004

  2. Thomas Nielsen

    Scott Allen Guest

    Off hand I'd lean towards option #1, as it tends to tie up fewer
    resources on the server. ASP.NET will only process a certain number of
    concurrent requests, and even though that number is configurable it is
    hard to tie up threads and connections while waiting around for
    "stuff" to finish up or possibly time out.

    The disclaimer is, I don't know how many users you need to support, or
    how long the 3 asynch processes need to complete, so #1 may not be THE
    optimal solution for your web application, but it is a conservative
    approach.

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com

    Scott Allen, Jul 11, 2004

  3. Hi Scott,

    We have a lot of concurrent users. I just thought of a hybrid solution,
    where one page can be synchronous and another page can be asynchronous. This
    is the scenario:

    User submit a payment request
    Payment request is rejected or accepted synchronously.
    If the payment is accepted, asynchronous processes are started on the
    servers and the confirmation is sent to the client.
    On the payment confirmation page, there will be a link to
    OrderProcessing.aspx.
    OrderProcessing.aspx will start polling the asynchronous processes, and stop
    polling if all are completed, or if time out.

    - Thomas

    Thomas Nielsen, Jul 11, 2004
  4. Thomas Nielsen

    Scott Allen Guest

    Thomas:

    I think your scenario sounds pretty good. It's simple and easy to
    debug too.

    --s

    Scott Allen, Jul 11, 2004