Asynchronous Processing

Frankie

I am looking to implement a long-running task in an ASP.NET 1.1 application.
While I am familiar with a couple of async operations outside of Web apps, I
have not yet implemented for a Web app.

The only piece I don't yet understand is how to notify the browser that a
long async operation has completed. Presumably the user has wandered off to
anyther page while the async operation was in progress. So what is a
reasonable way to get their attention - to notify them that (1) the async
operation has completed, and (2) show them results.

Thanks.

bruce barker

give them a page to lookup the status. you can also open a small windows
that polls for the status.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

The modern approach would be to call back to the server every so often via
AJAX to check the status.