Asynchronous programming in ASP.Net 2.0

Guest

Hi,

I was going through the article
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/05/10/WickedCode/) regarding async
programming in ASP.Net 2.0 but did not find much of an use with it.

Actually my requirement is that once a user logs in I need to call a web
service which will perform some activity but I am not bothered with the
result of the web service. I have a process.aspx which is called after login
and after implementing the code mentioned in the article above the page does
not load until the web service finishes its task. How do I solve this
problem. I do not want to create a new thread as I do not want to handle the
responsibility of monitoring the threads.

Please suggest. Your quick response is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Sriram Mallajyosula

bruce barker

the webservice should be changed to reply right away, and return a
ticket number used to check the status of the process. the web service
would then have to handle the background threads.

if you can not change the web service, then your app will have to use
background threads.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Guest

Asynchronous page processing would only normally be useful if you had several
WebService calls you needed to perform "in parallel". ASP.NET page processing
halts until all the asynchronous tasks have returned, or timed out, as you
have discovered.

It sounds like what you want is more of a "fire and forget" type pattern.
Hope that helps,
Peter