Asynchronous Web Method

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Simple Simon, Dec 3, 2003.

  1. Simple Simon

    Simple Simon Guest

    Hi, I'm having a little trouble with the architecture of my Web App.
    Bascially, I need to import some MLS data into a SQL Db from (3)
    comma-delimited files, as well as, upload and extract the images for
    the MLS listings from a zip file. These things I can do, but am
    worried about server time-outs.

    I've read some MSDN articles about using Server-Side Asynchronous Web
    Methods to perform lengthy back-end operations:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnservice/html/service10012002.asp

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...onCreatingAsynchronousXMLWebServiceMethod.asp

    I'm trying to figure out how to lay this out in my project. If I need
    to have something like these ansynchronous web mehtods?

    [WebMethod]
    public string GetResidentialListings()

    [WebMethod]
    public string GetLandAndLotListings()

    [WebMethod]
    public string GetCommercialListings()

    Then, I want to make Asynchronous Methods for each?

    [WebMethod]
    public IasyncResult BeginGetResidentialListings(AsyncCallback......)
    [WebMethod]
    public string EndGetResidentialListings(IAsyncResult......)

    [WebMethod]
    public IasyncResult BeginGetLandAndLotListings(AsyncCallback......)
    public string EndGetLandAndLotListings(IAsyncResult......)
    [WebMethod]

    [WebMethod]
    public IasyncResult BeginGetCommercialListings(AsyncCallback......)
    [WebMethod]
    public string EndGetCommercialListings(IAsyncResult......)

    Then, should I have one "Master" WebMethod that calls all three?

    TIA,
    ~Gordon

    Simple Simon, Dec 3, 2003