    XmlHttp request both different ways of making asynchronous web requests.

    One just uses the Web Service architecture and one uses a proprietary (but
    widely implemented) client object, right?
    Scott M., Sep 4, 2008

  2. Yup. At a high level yes. However, for a closer look, you actually have a
    main thread firing a child thread which queues work to a thread pool for the
    first scenario. For the second, you have a main thread queuing work to a
    thread pool. Subtle difference?!

    --

    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney [MVP ASP.NET]

    [Shameless Author plug]
    Download OWC Black Book, 2nd Edition
    Exclusively on www.lulu.com/owc $15.00
    Need a free copy of VSTS 2008 w/ MSDN Premium?
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/alvin/Default.aspx

    Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP], Sep 5, 2008

  3. Scott M.

    Scott M. Guest

    Thanks.

    "Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]" <vapor dan using hot male spam filter> wrote in
    message news:...

    Scott M., Sep 5, 2008
  4. Scott M.

    Scott M. Guest

    So, really the XmlHttp object is really just an API for performing HTTP
    Post/Get operations in new threads?

    Scott M., Sep 5, 2008
  5. That is how I think of it, the browser couldn't do it cleanly and easily in
    a way that would scale (now it can with tabbed browsing support). Recall
    before AJAX.NET came about, Microsoft actually had webservice behaviours
    (htc files) that used the xmlhttp objects to fire of out of band calls to
    the service. All that got rebranded and polished to Ajax.net. But the basic
    principle remained the same.

    Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP], Sep 8, 2008
  6. Scott M.

    Scott M. Guest