Asynchronous Web Services called from ASP.NET

David Cornelson

I have a messaging system that will make calls from webforms to a
backend web service to handle asynchronous message handling. The
webform does not need to know what happend to the call, only some
reasonable assurity that the call was processed.

I've been doing tests and I'm getting (403 - Access Forbidden) for all
but 8 or 9 calls in a loop of anything from 20 to 1000. This is
clearly unacceptable. I think the biggest problems are the lack of
documentation on what exactly is occuring between the begininvoke, the
processed method, and the endinvoke. And then there's no way to debug
this beyond writing messages to the file system.

If I run my web service calls synchronously, I get 100% reliability
and for the most part the performance is within reason, but I'd like
to get this working asynchronously. Is IIS having a problem with
getting hit with so many web service calls at once? Is the asmx
handler not savvy enough?

Help?

David Cornelson

Ágúst

Have you considered/is it possible to reduce calls to the
webservice by sending several messages together? That is,
have one call to the webservice clean up the queue at that
time?