ATA/ATAPI-5 Question

Stephan Rose

Anyone here have any experience talking to a harddrive? Having some
problems, conversation seems a little one-sided.

Sending it a Identify command...status register goes to busy as it
should. Then goes back down...when I read the 256 words...I get a
nothing but

FF7F
FF7F...and so on...

Next I tried to send it the identify packet command...same thing
busy bit comes on...
busy bit goes off...

FF7F...all I get...

The status register reads 7E

Using PIO Mode 4

Since I seem to properly be getting the busy bit....the communication
appears to work just fine. But, whatever I do, I just can't get the
identify command to work.

The envrioment I'm doing this is, is a Cirrus Logic CPU, integrated
IDE controller, Am920T core, 200MHz cpu clock, 100MHz bus.

Any help is highly appreciated!

Thanks,

Stephan

Stephan Rose

Made one mistake in my post about the status regisrer...

The status register reads 7E prior to the command
FC after the command....
7C once the busy bit clears.

The drive by the way is a WD Caviar.

I tested the same thing with a fujitsu drive, same results.

Stephan

Allin Cottrell

Stephan said:
Made one mistake in my post about the status regisrer...
^
Make that two -- or rather three, in that this sort of issue,
talking to specific hardware, is not a C-language question.
You'd be better of posting to a news group dealing with the
particular platform from which you are trying to address
Mr HD.

Allin Cottrell

Stephan Rose

Well my view on that is this..

1. I'm writing this in C...
2. C is used for many hardware-near related things, hence there may be
someone around here that may have dealt with this problem and may have
an idea as to what I am doing wrong.
3. There is no newsgroup dealing with my particular platform that I am
aware of.

Thank you,

Stephan

Arthur J. O'Dwyer

something hardware-related]
Well my view on that is this..

1. I'm writing this in C...
2. C is used for many hardware-near related things, hence there may be
someone around here that may have dealt with this problem and may have
an idea as to what I am doing wrong.
3. There is no newsgroup dealing with my particular platform that I am
aware of.

Your post is off-topic for comp.lang.c. Please visit

-Arthur

CBFalconer

*** top-posting fixed ***
Stephan said:
Well my view on that is this..

1. I'm writing this in C...
2. C is used for many hardware-near related things, hence there
may be someone around here that may have dealt with this problem
and may have an idea as to what I am doing wrong.
3. There is no newsgroup dealing with my particular platform
that I am aware of.

We deal with the C language here, not particular hardware etc.
Try < And do not top-post.

Keith Thompson

David Logan said:
What is "top-post"?

Top-posting means placing quoted material from previous articles after
your reply.

Because it makes the discussion difficult to follow.
Why is top-posting bad?

(To clarify: that last line wasn't really a quotation.)

Mark McIntyre

Well my view on that is this..

1. I'm writing this in C...

nope. Not if its addressing registers
2. C is used for many hardware-near related things, hence there may be
someone around here that may have dealt with this problem and may have
an idea as to what I am doing wrong.

And hardware is used in trucks, so you could ask over in rec.auto.trucks.
And registers are used in home-improvement stores, so why not ask in
alt.home-improvement ?
3. There is no newsgroup dealing with my particular platform that I am
aware of.

And that makes it alright to ask here? Be sensible.