ATlas and Asp.net Client callback

Papanii Okai

Hi Guys,
As we wall know Atlas is a fairly new feature everyone is talking
about (atleast at my school). Even though the idea of Ajax has been used in
the past i was wondeing if anyone could explain a few things to me.
Comparing the performance of both asp.net client call backs and Atlas which
is faster? Do they necessarily do the same things? Are there things Atlas
can do that client callbacks can't? Secondly, even though there is a Atlas
library which makes coding easier, does that make it necessarily better for
developement?

Thanx

--Papanii

Guest

Atlas uses the client call backs built into ASP.net 2.0. The idea of it is
to automate the process and allow you to use server side markup and code to
generate the client side stuff, in much the same way as current ASP.net
generates various cleint side scripts to deal with things like auto post back
and validation. Currently it's all a bit moot as Atlas is at such an early
stage it is not much practical use at all. I would say Atals will make for
better development, after all would you code your own validation routing when
using an ASP.net validation control will work?

Guest

Hi Papanii,

Normal ASP posts your entire page back on a event. This generates pretty
much traffic. With atlas you can only post back a portion of your page.
The benefits of this is that it generates less traffic, but also greatly
improves the user experiece. Because only a portion is updated your screen
flickers less and so your web application looks more like a Windows
application.

For more information and a library to use it go to: http://atlas.asp.net/

Papanii Okai

Hi Dustin,
I agree with you 100% but you still didn't answer the
question of whether or not Atlas is faster in performance than Asp.net
client callbacks (without full page postbacks). They both achieve the same
results since they are posting back only a portion of the page. After
building a few apps with client callbacks, I felt it fairly easy to get the
same functionality as I would get with Atlas. But as Clickon said in his
last post Atlas is in a very early stage. I am just curious with the
performance of each since they are very few articles regarding this matter.

--Papanii

Guest

On the contary, Atlas is of great use in its current state (March CTP or
April CTP), I am using it in a production system already. I am mainly using
Atlas:Updatepanels and the user experience is amazing in comparison to the
"old" postbacks.....