Atlas/JavaScript getting started problem

Tina

I'm trying to get started with Atlas and associated necessary javascript at
the same time. I started out at
http://atlas.asp.net/walkthroughs/gettingstarted/basic.net where they have
an application (which I have pasted below) that displays a string returned
from a web service.

One problem is that the application doesn't work. It errors out at....

Samples.AspNet.HelloWorldService.HelloWorld(SrchElem.value,OnRequestComplete);

saying that Samples is undefined. Can anyone tell me what is wrong?

Another thing I'm curious about is that the author of the article said it
was necessary to NOT use a codebehind file but did not say why. Why can't a
code-behind file be used?

Thanks,

<%@ Page Language="C#" Title="Atlas Script Walkthrough" %>

<head id="Head1" runat="server">
<atlas:ScriptManager runat="server" ID="scriptManager">
<services>
<atlas:servicereference path="~/HelloWorldService.asmx" />
</services>
</atlas:ScriptManager>
body { font: 11pt Trebuchet MS;
font-color: #000000;
padding-top: 72px;
text-align: center }

.text { font: 8pt Trebuchet MS }

</head>
<form id="Form1" runat="server">
Search for
<input id="SearchKey" type="text" />
<input id="SearchButton" type="button"
value="Search"
onclick="DoSearch()" />
</form>
<hr style="width: 300px" />
<script type="text/javascript">

function DoSearch()
{
var SrchElem = document.getElementById("SearchKey");
Samples.AspNet.HelloWorldService.HelloWorld(SrchElem.value,
OnRequestComplete);
}

function OnRequestComplete(result)
{
var RsltElem = document.getElementById("Results");
RsltElem.innerHTML = result;
}

</script>

Guest

I am not sure what your web service code looks like, but you may have an
issue with the namespace name. If you could post that code, that would be
great.

As for the code-behind comment, I believe the author was stating that you do
not need to use the code behind for the ASPX page. Since atlas is calling a
web service you may or may not need to implement any code-behind for your
aspx page. If you are not performing any post back routines then you wouldn’t
necessarily need any code behind.

Daniel C. Di Vita

Guest

It is definitely the namespace -- I had the same error.

Change:
Samples.AspNet.HelloWorldService.HelloWorld(SrchElem.value,
OnRequestComplete);
to where ever your web service is located in your project -- mine was just

HelloWorldService.HelloWorld(SrchElem.value,OnRequestComplete);