Atlas vs ASP.NET Callback

Varangian

I'm not sure if there was already a post on this.. if so I apologise

My question is what difference is there between Atlas and ASP.NET
callback and why should people go on Atlas rather than on the ASP.NET
2.0 Callback?

I used both of them:-

Atlas was easy to use, just put the controls you wish in an UpdatePanel
and all that, however the update panel still flickers if you put lots
of controls in it, sort of minimizing the refresh button to just the
update panel

on the other hand, I had quite some time learning ASP.NET 2.0 Callback
but now I'm handling it quite effectively...

Am I missing something? Can someone really point me the pros and cons,
or which one of them is the best?

Thank you :)

Varangian

forgot to add something..... ASP.NET 2.0 Callback doesn't even flicker.
no flickers compared with the Atlas UpdatePanel

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Well Atlas is mostly simpler than ASP.NET 2.0 callbacks, as you discovered.
Therefore that's one reason to go with Atlas.
I think the biggest reason NOT to go with Atlas is because it's not done
yet. It's bleeding edge technology and you could get cut.
Client Side Callbacks in ASP.NET 2.0 are complete and functional and works
flawlessly even if its a bit more of a manual process. Good programmers
aren't afraid of a little code.

Guest

I would go further and say Atlas is bareley even started and does very little
of actual practical use. Looks like it will be nice, but in about about 18
months time.