    Thanks
    --
    Betty

    c676228, Apr 26, 2007

  2. Hi Betty,

    I agree with Jon. For classic ASP, since there is no built-in component
    class which provide transaction support like ASP.NET, you may have two
    choices if you need to perform ACID transaction based database accessing:

    1. Put all the transaction awared processing in SQL Server side , use T-SQL
    begin and commit transaction. You can define store procedures to do this.

    2. You can create COM+ component which support distributed transaction. And
    your ASP page can call those COM+ components to leverage the transaction
    functionality. However, developing COM+ components is much more complex
    than vbscript page.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Apr 26, 2007

  3. Hi Betty,

    Have you got any further idea on this? If there is still anything we can
    help, please feel free to post here.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], May 1, 2007
  4. c676228

    c676228 Guest

    Hi Jon and Steven,
    I don't really know much about developing com+ myself.
    I think Stored procedure is a choice. but I am also thinking about using ADO
    call too, especially when you have a table with many columns(say 30) and you
    want to insert a record into this table, then you need to write a stored
    procedure with many
    parameters in order to pass data into this stored procedure, if this is the
    case, ADO call seems to be much easier. I am not sure if I am right since I
    read many artiles talking about why stored procedure is preferred than ADO
    call.
    --
    Betty

    c676228, Jun 9, 2007
  5. c676228 wrote:
    > Hi Jon and Steven,
    > I don't really know much about developing com+ myself.
    > I think Stored procedure is a choice. but I am also thinking about
    > using ADO call too, especially when you have a table with many
    > columns(say 30) and you want to insert a record into this table, then
    > you need to write a stored procedure with many
    > parameters in order to pass data into this stored procedure, if this
    > is the case, ADO call seems to be much easier. I am not sure if I am
    > right since I read many artiles talking about why stored procedure is
    > preferred than ADO call.

    "Easy" is not a good reason to choose one technique over another, especially
    if you are deciding between an insecure technique like dynamic sql (think
    SQL Injection) and a secure technique like passing parameter values to a
    stored procedure.

    I will also argue that given the need to worry about delimiters, embedded
    and otherwise, dynamic sql is much harder to do than passing parameters.

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jun 9, 2007
  6. Hi Betty,

    If you using ADO calls, then, the transaction logic should also be
    encapsulated at database engine layer rather than your application code
    layer. Sure, for classic ASP, using ADO component to execute query is the
    most convenient one.

    BTW, so far I only saw this old issue opened from you, but haven't seen any
    new threads you created, have you created any new ones?

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Jun 13, 2007