Attach to Process

GaryDean

I see some references on debugging by attaching to a process. There are
MSDN articles that show how to attach to a process for debugging. However,
I can find no info on how exactly to get the debugging to work.

I have a wizard page in the anonymous section of my website. If I run it as
the startup page in VS it runs fine. But if I link to it from an external
link, it gets "object reference not set to an instance of an object" when I
try to navigate to wizard step 2.

I was hoping to use the attach to process to debug this situation but
nothing I try works. How can I step through code this way?
Thanks,
Gary

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

With web apps, you need to get the debugger attached prior to entering the
cycle for a particular piece of functionality. If you are using a wizard,
you cannot attach after you start the wizard, as some of the context is not
available to the debugger. If this page has to be your starting point,
attach and then start again.

If this is not your issue, post back and we can see if we can work through
this.

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hello Gary,

Do you mean you're using the ASP.NET Wizard control on the page? If so
please refer to the following article. It demonstrates how to debug the
source code:

http://blogs.msdn.com/sburke/archive/2008/01/16/configuring-visual-studio-to
-debug-net-framework-source-code.aspx

Please let me know if it works. If my understanding is wrong please correct
me and clarify the problem.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).

--------------------
| From: "GaryDean" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Attach to Process
| Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 14:39:14 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I see some references on debugging by attaching to a process. There are
| MSDN articles that show how to attach to a process for debugging.
However,
| I can find no info on how exactly to get the debugging to work.
|
| I have a wizard page in the anonymous section of my website. If I run it
as
| the startup page in VS it runs fine. But if I link to it from an
external
| link, it gets "object reference not set to an instance of an object" when
| try to navigate to wizard step 2.
|
| I was hoping to use the attach to process to debug this situation but
| nothing I try works. How can I step through code this way?
| Thanks,
| Gary

GaryDean

Actually my question has to do with how to debug and step through managed
CLR code applications that are running by themselves - not in visual studio
debugger. I know how to debug and step through code in Visual Studio -
That's easy. There are lots of reasons for this...

Program that blows when running by itsself but not when in VS
Debuging a System Service
Debuging a WCF service that's only failing in production

Googling around I see a lot about DbgClr.exe and attaching to processes.
However I notice that DbgClr.exe no longer comes with VS2008 so I'm thinking
there is a better way. Yet I notice that if I go to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7zxbks7z.aspx which is 3.5 it still
talks about DbgClr.exe. So, before I dive into learning a method I wanted
to make sure I am using the best and most effective method.
[...]

From your description I think you mainly have two questions.

1. What the best and most effective way is to troubleshoot "object
reference not set to an instance of an object" issue that is mentioned in
your initial post. In your project you're using ASP.NET Wizard control and
this exception is thrown when you navigate to wizard step 2.

2. Where you can get DbgClr.exe for Visual Studio 2008.

As to your first issue the most effective way to troubleshoot is to use
Visual Studio to debug. Actually by checking the call stack we may diagnose
most of this kind of problems. You can also send a demo project to me. I'll
debug on my side to see what the problem is. My email is
(e-mail address removed).

As to your second question, the DbgClr doesn't ship with the SDK anymore.
You can use MDbg instead:
http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3118151&SiteID=1

In addition, to diagnose the problems we have other choices. For example we
can enable tracing to diagnose WCF issues:

If you have further questions please feel free to ask.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

--------------------
| From: "GaryDean" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Attach to Process
| Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 17:30:59 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Actually my question has to do with how to debug and step through managed
| CLR code applications that are running by themselves - not in visual
studio
| debugger. I know how to debug and step through code in Visual Studio -
| That's easy. There are lots of reasons for this...
|
| Program that blows when running by itsself but not when in VS
| Debuging a System Service
| Debuging a WCF service that's only failing in production
|
| Googling around I see a lot about DbgClr.exe and attaching to processes.
| However I notice that DbgClr.exe no longer comes with VS2008 so I'm
thinking
| there is a better way. Yet I notice that if I go to
| http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7zxbks7z.aspx which is 3.5 it
still
| talks about DbgClr.exe. So, before I dive into learning a method I
wanted
| to make sure I am using the best and most effective method.
| Thanks,
| Gary
|
| message | > With web apps, you need to get the debugger attached prior to entering
the
| > cycle for a particular piece of functionality. If you are using a
wizard,
| > you cannot attach after you start the wizard, as some of the context is
| > not available to the debugger. If this page has to be your starting
point,
| > attach and then start again.
| >
| > If this is not your issue, post back and we can see if we can work
through
| > this.
| >
| > --
| > Gregory A. Beamer
| > MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
| >
| > Subscribe to my blog
| > http://feeds.feedburner.com/GregoryBeamer#
| >
| > or just read it:
| > http://feeds.feedburner.com/GregoryBeamer
| >
| > ********************************************
| > | Think outside the box! |
| > ********************************************
| >>MSDN articles that show how to attach to a process for debugging.
| >>However, I can find no info on how exactly to get the debugging to work.
| >>
| >> I have a wizard page in the anonymous section of my website. If I run
it
| >> as the startup page in VS it runs fine. But if I link to it from an
| >> external link, it gets "object reference not set to an instance of an
| >> object" when I try to navigate to wizard step 2.
| >>
| >> I was hoping to use the attach to process to debug this situation but
| >> nothing I try works. How can I step through code this way?
| >> Thanks,
| >> Gary

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hello Gary,

Do you have any other questions?

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Community Support
--------------------
| From: "GaryDean" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Attach to Process
| Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 17:30:59 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Actually my question has to do with how to debug and step through managed
| CLR code applications that are running by themselves - not in visual
studio
| debugger. I know how to debug and step through code in Visual Studio -
| That's easy. There are lots of reasons for this...
|
| Program that blows when running by itsself but not when in VS
| Debuging a System Service
| Debuging a WCF service that's only failing in production
|
| Googling around I see a lot about DbgClr.exe and attaching to processes.
| However I notice that DbgClr.exe no longer comes with VS2008 so I'm
thinking
| there is a better way. Yet I notice that if I go to
| http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7zxbks7z.aspx which is 3.5 it
still
| talks about DbgClr.exe. So, before I dive into learning a method I
wanted
| to make sure I am using the best and most effective method.
| Thanks,
| Gary
|
| message | > With web apps, you need to get the debugger attached prior to entering
the
| > cycle for a particular piece of functionality. If you are using a
wizard,
| > you cannot attach after you start the wizard, as some of the context is
| > not available to the debugger. If this page has to be your starting
point,
| > attach and then start again.
| >
| > If this is not your issue, post back and we can see if we can work
through
| > this.
| >
| > --
| > Gregory A. Beamer