    nothing I try works. How can I step through code this way?
    Thanks,
    Gary

    GaryDean, Nov 3, 2008

  2. With web apps, you need to get the debugger attached prior to entering the
    cycle for a particular piece of functionality. If you are using a wizard,
    you cannot attach after you start the wizard, as some of the context is not
    available to the debugger. If this page has to be your starting point,
    attach and then start again.

    If this is not your issue, post back and we can see if we can work through
    this.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Subscribe to my blog

    or just read it:

    | Think outside the box! |

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Nov 4, 2008

  3. Hello Gary,

    Do you mean you're using the ASP.NET Wizard control on the page? If so
    please refer to the following article. It demonstrates how to debug the
    source code:

    http://blogs.msdn.com/sburke/archive/2008/01/16/configuring-visual-studio-to
    -debug-net-framework-source-code.aspx

    Please let me know if it works. If my understanding is wrong please correct
    me and clarify the problem.

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Support

    .

    --------------------

    Allen Chen [MSFT], Nov 4, 2008
  4. GaryDean

    GaryDean Guest

    Actually my question has to do with how to debug and step through managed
    CLR code applications that are running by themselves - not in visual studio
    debugger. I know how to debug and step through code in Visual Studio -
    That's easy. There are lots of reasons for this...

    Program that blows when running by itsself but not when in VS
    Debuging a System Service
    Debuging a WCF service that's only failing in production

    Googling around I see a lot about DbgClr.exe and attaching to processes.
    However I notice that DbgClr.exe no longer comes with VS2008 so I'm thinking
    there is a better way. Yet I notice that if I go to
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7zxbks7z.aspx which is 3.5 it still
    talks about DbgClr.exe. So, before I dive into learning a method I wanted
    to make sure I am using the best and most effective method.
    Thanks,
    Gary

    message news:%...

    GaryDean, Nov 7, 2008
  5. GaryDean

    GaryDean, Nov 7, 2008
  6. Hello Gary,

    From your description I think you mainly have two questions.

    1. What the best and most effective way is to troubleshoot "object
    reference not set to an instance of an object" issue that is mentioned in
    your initial post. In your project you're using ASP.NET Wizard control and
    this exception is thrown when you navigate to wizard step 2.

    2. Where you can get DbgClr.exe for Visual Studio 2008.

    As to your first issue the most effective way to troubleshoot is to use
    Visual Studio to debug. Actually by checking the call stack we may diagnose
    most of this kind of problems. You can also send a demo project to me. I'll
    debug on my side to see what the problem is. My email is
    .

    As to your second question, the DbgClr doesn't ship with the SDK anymore.
    You can use MDbg instead:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3118151&SiteID=1

    In addition, to diagnose the problems we have other choices. For example we
    can enable tracing to diagnose WCF issues:

    If you have further questions please feel free to ask.

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Support

    --------------------
    | From: "GaryDean" <>
    | Subject: Re: Attach to Process
    | Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 17:30:59 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    |
    | Actually my question has to do with how to debug and step through managed
    | CLR code applications that are running by themselves - not in visual
    studio
    | debugger. I know how to debug and step through code in Visual Studio -
    | That's easy. There are lots of reasons for this...
    |
    | Program that blows when running by itsself but not when in VS
    | Debuging a System Service
    | Debuging a WCF service that's only failing in production
    |
    | Googling around I see a lot about DbgClr.exe and attaching to processes.
    | However I notice that DbgClr.exe no longer comes with VS2008 so I'm
    thinking
    | there is a better way. Yet I notice that if I go to
    | http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7zxbks7z.aspx which is 3.5 it
    still
    | talks about DbgClr.exe. So, before I dive into learning a method I
    wanted
    | to make sure I am using the best and most effective method.
    | Thanks,
    | Gary
    |
    | "Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <> wrote in
    | message news:%...
    | > With web apps, you need to get the debugger attached prior to entering
    the
    | > cycle for a particular piece of functionality. If you are using a
    wizard,
    | > you cannot attach after you start the wizard, as some of the context is
    | > not available to the debugger. If this page has to be your starting
    point,
    | > attach and then start again.
    | >
    | > If this is not your issue, post back and we can see if we can work
    through
    | > this.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Gregory A. Beamer
    | > MVP, MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
    | >
    | > Subscribe to my blog
    | > http://feeds.feedburner.com/GregoryBeamer#
    | >
    | > or just read it:
    | > http://feeds.feedburner.com/GregoryBeamer
    | >
    | > ********************************************
    | > | Think outside the box! |

    Allen Chen [MSFT], Nov 7, 2008
  7. Hello Gary,

    Do you have any other questions?

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    --------------------
    | From: "GaryDean" <>
    | Subject: Re: Attach to Process
    | Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 17:30:59 -0700
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    |
    | Actually my question has to do with how to debug and step through managed
    | CLR code applications that are running by themselves - not in visual
    studio
    | debugger. I know how to debug and step through code in Visual Studio -
    | That's easy. There are lots of reasons for this...
    |
    | Program that blows when running by itsself but not when in VS
    | Debuging a System Service
    | Debuging a WCF service that's only failing in production
    |
    | Googling around I see a lot about DbgClr.exe and attaching to processes.
    | However I notice that DbgClr.exe no longer comes with VS2008 so I'm
    thinking
    | there is a better way. Yet I notice that if I go to
    | http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7zxbks7z.aspx which is 3.5 it
    still
    | talks about DbgClr.exe. So, before I dive into learning a method I
    wanted
    | to make sure I am using the best and most effective method.
    | Thanks,
    | Gary
    |
    | "Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <> wrote in
    | message news:%...
    | > With web apps, you need to get the debugger attached prior to entering
    the
    | > cycle for a particular piece of functionality. If you are using a
    wizard,
    | > you cannot attach after you start the wizard, as some of the context is
    | > not available to the debugger. If this page has to be your starting
    point,
    | > attach and then start again.
    | >
    | > If this is not your issue, post back and we can see if we can work
    through
    | > this.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Gregory A. Beamer