Attachment based programming in .NET

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by czuvich, Dec 12, 2006.

  1. czuvich

    czuvich Guest

    All,

    I am wanting some advice on getting started on an application that has
    to take attachments. Basically, I have an application that
    creates/pulls data from MS SQL Server. With this data, the user can add
    attachments that are associated with it. I am wondering what is the
    best (I know that's subjective, but opinions are what I am asking for)
    route to take for accomplishing this task. Here are my thoughts:

    1) In the database, have a column with links separated by a semicolon,
    Pro - Small storage on the database
    Con - If the file is moved/modified, the database had to be updated
    at the same time. Also, processing time for going through the list of
    attachments.

    2) In the database, just have a column that actually points to the
    attachment itself, letting SQL Server load the attachment internally
    (not sure if that's possible, but I know that Wiki's do it). Basically,
    it would be like inserting the attachment into the database, and
    letting SQL Server do it's thing.

    Pro - Easy to code (hopefully)
    Con - Not sure about the security... could load a malicious file...
    etc..

    Any thoughts would be great! Thanks all!

    czuvich, Dec 12, 2006