    --
    Dan Foley
    Web Consultant

    Dan, Oct 22, 2003

  2. Dan

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Dan" <> writing
    in news:q1jlb.8631$:

    > http://dan.micamedia.com
    >
    > I've been reading this news group a long time, and decided to try to
    > make a site that is 4.01 strick.. looks nice and uses css for all style
    > and positioning..
    >
    > what do you think?
    >
    > So far everything validates.

    The text size is small, especially in the Testimonial area, where it is
    italicized. You're setting the font size in pixels, better to use
    percentages.

    Looks like you're still using tables for positioning.

    The style switcher does not work for me. If I click on yellow, for a
    split second it turns yellow, then back to grey.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Oct 22, 2003

  3. Dan pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
    > http://dan.micamedia.com
    >
    > I've been reading this news group a long time, and decided to try to make a
    > site that is 4.01 strick.. looks nice and uses css for all style and
    > positioning..
    >
    > what do you think?

    There is something wrong with your columns. In Firebird, when I increase
    the font size (because it's too small), then decrease it, the columns do
    not compress to their original sizes, and I'm left with a horizontal
    scrollbar.

    Change all your font sizes to % or em, not px. Start with 100%, and only
    go smaller for things like footer copyright notices.

    In IE, I cannot resize your text because you have hard-coded px and my
    eyes must not be as good as yours. It may look ok to you, but you are
    taking away the visitor's default font size.

    Your list of links should be a... list. <ul><li>...

    You probably don't need the tables. Use a CSS columnar layout. Here's a
    sample. Pick the 1-1-1column.html page. CSS layout instead of table layout
    is far far easier to maintain. Lots less code, too.
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~apple77/columns/

    You're using <br>'s for layout.

    > So far everything validates.

    So far... <g>

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Oct 22, 2003
  4. Dan

    rf Guest

    "Dan" <> wrote in message
    > http://dan.micamedia.com
    >
    > I've been reading this news group a long time, and decided to try to make

    > site that is 4.01 strick.. looks nice and uses css for all style and
    > positioning..

    If you intend to use CSS for all positioning why are you using tables to
    position things?

    > what do you think?

    You have specified a font size of 10 pixels. Apart from being far too small
    for me this fires a bug in IE where the font size becomes unchangable. This
    is a major accessibility flaw, I am forced to use my accessibility options
    to ignore your font size entirely.

    If you must specify a font size than specify 100%. That is what your viewer
    has chosen as being comfortable.

    I personally find white text on mid grey very tedious to read, especially
    italic. The yellow style is better but it nearly burnt my eyes out :)

    Specify hover and, more importantly, visited colours for the links.

    The layout is broken in Mozilla. The minimum width appears to be about 1100
    pixels.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Oct 22, 2003
  5. Dan

    Ed Guest

    > "Dan" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>http://dan.micamedia.com
    >>
    >>I've been reading this news group a long time, and decided to try to make

    >>site that is 4.01 strick.. looks nice and uses css for all style and
    >>positioning..

    I'm hoping you were looking for constructive criticism. It can be
    pretty brutal in here. When I change styles from gray to yellow and
    black, the sizes of the columns shift sharply. If it were intentionaly,
    it would be pretty cool. I'll reiterate what everyone else has said.
    Get rid of the tables for layout. I'm in the process of re-working all
    of my sites to get rid of the tables. I've just started the process and
    I can tell you that pure CSS is far easier to handle than tables ever
    were once you get the hang of the quirky differences between the
    browsers. Best of luck to you. On the bright side, the portfolio is
    impressive and I'm confident you won't have any trouble getting this
    think knocked out.

    --
    Ed Grosvenor - Frustrated Web Guy and Cubs Fan The Goat Curse Bar and
    Grill <http://www.goatcurse.com>

    Ed, Oct 22, 2003
  6. Dan

    Dan Guest

    "Ed" <ed-=A@T=-jmfpub-=D.OT=-com> wrote in message
    > > "Dan" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>http://dan.micamedia.com
    > >>
    > >>I've been reading this news group a long time, and decided to try to

    make

    > >>site that is 4.01 strick.. looks nice and uses css for all style and
    > >>positioning..

    > I'm hoping you were looking for constructive criticism. It can be
    > pretty brutal in here. When I change styles from gray to yellow and
    > black, the sizes of the columns shift sharply. If it were intentionaly,
    > it would be pretty cool. I'll reiterate what everyone else has said.
    > Get rid of the tables for layout. I'm in the process of re-working all
    > of my sites to get rid of the tables. I've just started the process and
    > I can tell you that pure CSS is far easier to handle than tables ever
    > were once you get the hang of the quirky differences between the
    > browsers. Best of luck to you. On the bright side, the portfolio is
    > impressive and I'm confident you won't have any trouble getting this
    > think knocked out.

    I agree.. i just realized i was stilli using a bit of tables for layout..
    and that's not what i was after. i will make the whole thing rid of tables.
    It's just that i'm so damn busy. When i get free moment i'll make the
    changes.. and i did want all the critcism i can get. The better it is, the
    more gigs i'll get. (at least i hope that's that case!).

    Dan, Oct 22, 2003
  7. Toby A Inkster, Oct 22, 2003