Attempt at 4.01 Strict

Dan

http://dan.micamedia.com

I've been reading this news group a long time, and decided to try to make a
site that is 4.01 strick.. looks nice and uses css for all style and
positioning..

what do you think?

So far everything validates.

Adrienne

http://dan.micamedia.com

I've been reading this news group a long time, and decided to try to
make a site that is 4.01 strick.. looks nice and uses css for all style
and positioning..

what do you think?

So far everything validates.

The text size is small, especially in the Testimonial area, where it is
italicized. You're setting the font size in pixels, better to use
percentages.

Looks like you're still using tables for positioning.

The style switcher does not work for me. If I click on yellow, for a
split second it turns yellow, then back to grey.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Dan pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
http://dan.micamedia.com

I've been reading this news group a long time, and decided to try to make a
site that is 4.01 strick.. looks nice and uses css for all style and
positioning..

what do you think?

There is something wrong with your columns. In Firebird, when I increase
the font size (because it's too small), then decrease it, the columns do
not compress to their original sizes, and I'm left with a horizontal
scrollbar.

Change all your font sizes to % or em, not px. Start with 100%, and only
go smaller for things like footer copyright notices.

In IE, I cannot resize your text because you have hard-coded px and my
eyes must not be as good as yours. It may look ok to you, but you are
taking away the visitor's default font size.

Your list of links should be a... list. <ul><li>...

You probably don't need the tables. Use a CSS columnar layout. Here's a
sample. Pick the 1-1-1column.html page. CSS layout instead of table layout
is far far easier to maintain. Lots less code, too.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~apple77/columns/

You're using said:
So far everything validates.

So far... <g>

rf

Dan said:
http://dan.micamedia.com

I've been reading this news group a long time, and decided to try to make a
site that is 4.01 strick.. looks nice and uses css for all style and
positioning..

If you intend to use CSS for all positioning why are you using tables to
position things?
what do you think?

You have specified a font size of 10 pixels. Apart from being far too small
for me this fires a bug in IE where the font size becomes unchangable. This
is a major accessibility flaw, I am forced to use my accessibility options
to ignore your font size entirely.

If you must specify a font size than specify 100%. That is what your viewer
has chosen as being comfortable.

I personally find white text on mid grey very tedious to read, especially
italic. The yellow style is better but it nearly burnt my eyes out :)

Specify hover and, more importantly, visited colours for the links.

The layout is broken in Mozilla. The minimum width appears to be about 1100
pixels.

Cheers
Richard.

Ed

I'm hoping you were looking for constructive criticism. It can be
pretty brutal in here. When I change styles from gray to yellow and
black, the sizes of the columns shift sharply. If it were intentionaly,
it would be pretty cool. I'll reiterate what everyone else has said.
Get rid of the tables for layout. I'm in the process of re-working all
of my sites to get rid of the tables. I've just started the process and
I can tell you that pure CSS is far easier to handle than tables ever
were once you get the hang of the quirky differences between the
browsers. Best of luck to you. On the bright side, the portfolio is
impressive and I'm confident you won't have any trouble getting this
think knocked out.

Dan

Ed said:
I'm hoping you were looking for constructive criticism. It can be
pretty brutal in here. When I change styles from gray to yellow and
black, the sizes of the columns shift sharply. If it were intentionaly,
it would be pretty cool. I'll reiterate what everyone else has said.
Get rid of the tables for layout. I'm in the process of re-working all
of my sites to get rid of the tables. I've just started the process and
I can tell you that pure CSS is far easier to handle than tables ever
were once you get the hang of the quirky differences between the
browsers. Best of luck to you. On the bright side, the portfolio is
impressive and I'm confident you won't have any trouble getting this
think knocked out.

I agree.. i just realized i was stilli using a bit of tables for layout..
and that's not what i was after. i will make the whole thing rid of tables.
It's just that i'm so damn busy. When i get free moment i'll make the
changes.. and i did want all the critcism i can get. The better it is, the
more gigs i'll get. (at least i hope that's that case!).