'Attempted to access an unloaded AppDomain'

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by cameron, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. cameron

    cameron Guest

    I have a page that needs to process aproximately 7000 LDAP entries and
    does 10-12 SQL DB calls per entry. It is a busy, busy page. I have it
    schedualed to run every night at 4 am server time. It runs for about 2
    hours, processing a smidge over 4000 of the entries and then borks with
    the error:

    [AppDomainUnloadedException]: Attempted to access an unloaded AppDomain.

    The IIS logs shows a status of 200 for that page, the Event Viewer shows
    nothing unusual around that time, I can run the script in the
    development environment without issue, (can not run the script during
    the day on the production environment due to the load it places on the
    server).

    I was thinking that it might be a setting in the machine.config file
    that recycles the process:
    Timeout = infinite
    requestlimit = infinite
    memorylimit = 85
    responseDeadlockInterval = 00:03:00

    We have sripts that check the memory usage every 5 min and that is with
    in acceptable ranges. The only one that could be causing it is the
    responseDeadlockInterval - is there anyway to verify this? Does it log
    it somewhere that the process is being spanked due to some condition? I
    really do not want to be playing with these values on a production
    server without knowing for sure that it is the cause.

    The server is a Windows 2000 box.

    Thanks.

    -Cam

    cameron, Feb 19, 2004

  2. Hi Cam,

    Thanks for posting in the community!
    From your description, you encountered
    "[AppDomainUnloadedException]:Attempted to access an unloaded AppDomain"
    Exception. Since this probem occurs on the production environment. You are
    looking for some means to monitor the workerprocess to see whether is the
    "responseDeadlockInterval" limit in the processModel setting cause this
    issue, yes?

    Based on my experience such exception as "AppDomainUnloadedException" is
    likely caused by the aspnet application AppDomain is recycled. Also, from
    your description, I agree with you that it is likely due to the
    processModel setting limitation. And here are some tech artiles on
    monitoring the ASPNET workerprocess and perfomance, you may have a view to
    see whether they can help to troubleshoot this issue:

    #Watching Your Server Processes
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/aspnet-watchserverproces
    ses.asp?frame=true

    #ASP.NET Performance Monitoring, and When to Alert Administrators
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnaspp/html/monitor_perf.asp?frame=t
    rue

    #Production Debugging for .NET Framework Applications
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnbda/html/DBGch02.asp?frame=true

    #Performance Counters for ASP.NET
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconPerformanceCounter
    sForASPNET.asp?frame=true

    Please check out the above items. If you have any new findings or further
    questions on this issue, please feel free to post here.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Feb 20, 2004

  3. Hi Cam,

    Have you had a chance to check out my suggestions or have you got any
    progresses on this issue? If you have any new findings or need any further
    assistance, please feel free to post here.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Feb 24, 2004