Attribute 'ms_2d_layout' is not a valid attribute of element 'tabl

Guest

Hi,

I am trying to port an application for ASP.NET 1.1 to ASP.NET 2.0. Why
am I getting "Error 1 Validation (Internet Explorer 6): Attribute
'ms_2d_layout' is not a valid attribute of element 'table'" from this
element "<TABLE height="689" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0" width="1109"
border="0" ms_2d_layout="TRUE">"? How do I fix this error?

Eliyahu Goldin

First, you don't have to fix validation errors. They don't stop your program
from running correctly.

Second, ms_2d_layout is not known to be a valid attribute for table indeed.
Likely, it is an additional attribute used somewhere in the client code. If
it is true, just ignore the error.

Przemek Ptasznik

Eliyahu Goldin napisa³(a):
First, you don't have to fix validation errors. They don't stop your program
from running correctly.
Partially true. Your webpages will work.
But it's good habit to validate your (x)html files. It's important to
produce standard compliant code because in this case you don't rely on
browsers "quirks" mode rendering. The less errors in validation result,
the less points where browser guessing "what you meant writing this
piece of code". Errorless code means easier way to make it work properly
because if something's wrong and your code validates - it's obvious that
you screwed and not the browser "AI":)

Eliyahu Goldin

What you are saying is correct when your code distort the right settings. It
appears from the original post that the validation errors are caused by
additional attributes that are likely needed for the client-side code. I
myself introduced such attributes several times in my code. If that is the
case, and you want to eliminate the validation errors, you would need to
modify the schema used for validation. This task may be far beyond your
capabilities and time/budget constraints and you would prefer rather live
with the errors.

Guest

A google search for ms_2d_layout shows it all over asp.net code, it doesn't
appear to have anything to do with client side javascript - instead it looks
like it is related to grid layout. I didn't put it there, it came when I
ported from ASP.NET 1.1 to ASP.NET 2.0. Maybe is a way the validation
error is trying to say don't use grid layout for kind of compatibliity with
different browsers.
--
Mark

Eliyahu Goldin said:
What you are saying is correct when your code distort the right settings. It
appears from the original post that the validation errors are caused by
additional attributes that are likely needed for the client-side code. I
myself introduced such attributes several times in my code. If that is the
case, and you want to eliminate the validation errors, you would need to
modify the schema used for validation. This task may be far beyond your
capabilities and time/budget constraints and you would prefer rather live
with the errors.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant