Attributeless XML subsets

cdiggins

I am familiar with TinyXML and "Simple XML Subset Parser" from GLib,
but I was wondering if there exist any specifications subsets of XML
without attributes? I proposed one called XML-- (XML minus minus) on my
blog recently (
http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=135693 ) and I was
wondering if it was redundant, whether there was any interest, and if
anyone had any suggestions on how to make it more viable.

Thanks,
Christopher Diggins
http://www.cdiggins.com

Tjerk Wolterink

I am familiar with TinyXML and "Simple XML Subset Parser" from GLib,
but I was wondering if there exist any specifications subsets of XML
without attributes? I proposed one called XML-- (XML minus minus) on my
blog recently (
http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=135693 ) and I was
wondering if it was redundant, whether there was any interest, and if
anyone had any suggestions on how to make it more viable.

Why would you ever need an XML--??

You could just create a xschema for your xml documents
and don't use attributes!!
Then you can create xml documents that do not allow attributes.

cdiggins

In a sense XML-- is simply a way of saying

"the set of all possible XML documents which don't have attributes,
CDATA elements, only allows the five entities: &amp, >, <,
', ", are utf-8 encoded, and don't have DTD's"

The reason I want to use a shorthand like XML-- to describe this is
that I can write a general purpose XML-- parser which is much faster,
and uses less memory, than a regular XML parser, or even a TinyXML
parser.