    Christopher Diggins
    http://www.cdiggins.com

    , Nov 7, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > I am familiar with TinyXML and "Simple XML Subset Parser" from GLib,
    > but I was wondering if there exist any specifications subsets of XML
    > without attributes? I proposed one called XML-- (XML minus minus) on my
    > blog recently (
    > http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=135693 ) and I was
    > wondering if it was redundant, whether there was any interest, and if
    > anyone had any suggestions on how to make it more viable.

    Why would you ever need an XML--??

    You could just create a xschema for your xml documents
    and don't use attributes!!
    Then you can create xml documents that do not allow attributes.

    Tjerk Wolterink, Nov 7, 2005

    In a sense XML-- is simply a way of saying

    "the set of all possible XML documents which don't have attributes,
    CDATA elements, only allows the five entities: &amp, >, <,
    ', ", are utf-8 encoded, and don't have DTD's"

    The reason I want to use a shorthand like XML-- to describe this is
    that I can write a general purpose XML-- parser which is much faster,
    and uses less memory, than a regular XML parser, or even a TinyXML
    parser.

    , Nov 7, 2005