Auction site design tips needed.

Ravi

Hi, I am currently working on a web auctioning project
using .NET technologies as part of my University
dissertation. I have gathered a fair amount of information
through my research on the general structure of auction
applications that includes database designs, bidding
algorithms, security/login mechanisms and end-of-auction
services -all in .NET.

My project description is as follows:
The objective is to develop a Web-based auction
application implemented with Microsoft .NET technologies.
The application will allow users to participate in an
online trading community based on a simple ascending-bid
auction model that employs a proxy bid system. The
application will allow a casual user to browse active
auction items and registered users to buy and sell items
in addition.

The interface will be developed using ASP.NET while the
core logic will be implemented using ADO.NET technologies.
The entire application will be written in C#. The backend
data tier will be managed by an SQL Server 2000 database.
A Windows Service that executes on the server will be
implemented to automate the task of managing the auction
database. Certain areas of the application may be exposed
as an XML Webservice to allow the interaction of smart
clients - such as user bidback from mobile devices.

The auction application will be developed from a research
standpoint that will include current security issues
regarding such web-based applications and the
developmental and evolutionary phases within both an
existing criterion and conceptual paradigms that are
explored through cutting edge technologies.

I would be delighted to exchange information and ideas
amongst developers making similar applications. Thanks.

Ravi.