Audio Processing in Ruby

Benjamin Oakes

I'm interested in doing sound processing in Ruby. I've found some
good libraries for Python, but haven't been able to find anything very
mature for Ruby (which I would prefer to work with, since I don't know
Python nearly as well). Anything I've found on RubyForge, for
example, is in alpha. (I did find 'ruby/audio' but it I haven't had
much luck with it so far, without any type of guide.) Can anyone
point me to some resources? I haven't been able to find much of
anything via Google so far.

Thanks,

-- Ben (aka divokz)

Charles Oliver Nutter

Benjamin said:
I'm interested in doing sound processing in Ruby. I've found some good
libraries for Python, but haven't been able to find anything very mature
for Ruby (which I would prefer to work with, since I don't know Python
nearly as well). Anything I've found on RubyForge, for example, is in
alpha. (I did find 'ruby/audio' but it I haven't had much luck with it
so far, without any type of guide.) Can anyone point me to some
resources? I haven't been able to find much of anything via Google so far.

You might be able to find some good libraries in Java you could use
through JRuby. I know there are a few simple ones built into Java SE. I
don't know others off the top of my head though, but it's something to
consider.

- Charlie

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Benjamin said:
I'm interested in doing sound processing in Ruby. I've found some good
libraries for Python, but haven't been able to find anything very mature
for Ruby (which I would prefer to work with, since I don't know Python
nearly as well). Anything I've found on RubyForge, for example, is in
alpha. (I did find 'ruby/audio' but it I haven't had much luck with it
so far, without any type of guide.) Can anyone point me to some
resources? I haven't been able to find much of anything via Google so far.

Thanks,

-- Ben (aka divokz)

I've started a project on Google code to do some related things. The
project is

http://code.google.com/p/r-ruby-algo-comp-synth/

and it's mostly oriented towards algorithmic composition and synthesis
of music. What are your use cases/requirements? Perhaps I can hook them
into this project.