AudioClip stops working in Vista

Roedy Green

AudioClip has been deprecated but it stops working entirely in Vista
with JDK 1.6.0_10.

The problem is Windows sees it using system RAM and freaks out
thinking it is a virus.

Andrew Thompson

AudioClip has been deprecated ..

Since when? Neither of these docs mention it,
that I can see..
<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/applet/AudioClip.html>
<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/applet/
Applet.html#getAudioClip(java.net.URL,%20java.lang.String)>

But even in that case, I would not be too worried
about it, given the..
<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/javax/sound/sampled/package-
summary.html>
...was introduced in Java 1.3.
..but it stops working entirely in Vista
with JDK 1.6.0_10.

The problem is Windows sees it using system RAM and freaks out
thinking it is a virus.

How do applets using the javax.sound API go?

Andrew Thompson

Note also that 1.6.0_10 allows applets to
specify a JNLP file for configuration, ..

..., which allows us to specify the memory requirement.
And that might come in handy if dealing with large,
high quality..
How do applets using the javax.sound API go?

...sound samples and clips.

Roedy Green

..sound samples and clips.

they live in a jar. See http://mindprod.com/applet/vercheck.jar
or http://mindprod.com/zips/vercheck31.zip
that is the version using Audio clip that is getting in trouble.

From what you said, I don't think the trouble is the files. They have
been working a long time with AudioClip and just stopped working.
sampled sound says it does not support the format.

Perhaps the problem is Vista or the sound card and some lack of
support. I am going to have to spend some time preparing a whacking
great set of samples and see what it eats.