    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    http://mindprod.com
    Roedy Green, Sep 1, 2008

  2. On Sep 1, 7:30 pm, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:
    > AudioClip has been deprecated ..

    Since when? Neither of these docs mention it,
    that I can see..
    <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/applet/AudioClip.html>
    <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/applet/
    Applet.html#getAudioClip(java.net.URL,%20java.lang.String)>

    But even in that case, I would not be too worried
    about it, given the..
    <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/javax/sound/sampled/package-
    summary.html>
    ...was introduced in Java 1.3.

    >..but it stops working entirely in Vista
    > with JDK 1.6.0_10.
    >
    > The problem is Windows sees it using system RAM and freaks out
    > thinking it is a virus.

    How do applets using the javax.sound API go?

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://pscode.org/
    Andrew Thompson, Sep 1, 2008

  3. On Sep 1, 7:54 pm, Andrew Thompson <> wrote:
    > On Sep 1, 7:30 pm, Roedy Green <>
    > wrote:
    > > AudioClip has been deprecated ..

    > >..but it stops working entirely in Vista
    > > with JDK 1.6.0_10.

    Note also that 1.6.0_10 allows applets to
    specify a JNLP file for configuration, ..

    > > The problem is Windows sees it using system RAM

    ..., which allows us to specify the memory requirement.
    And that might come in handy if dealing with large,
    high quality..

    > > ..and freaks out
    > > thinking it is a virus.

    > How do applets using the javax.sound API go?

    ...sound samples and clips.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://pscode.org/
    Andrew Thompson, Sep 1, 2008
  4. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 03:03:30 -0700 (PDT), Andrew Thompson
    who said :

    >..sound samples and clips.

    they live in a jar. See http://mindprod.com/applet/vercheck.jar
    or http://mindprod.com/zips/vercheck31.zip
    that is the version using Audio clip that is getting in trouble.

    From what you said, I don't think the trouble is the files. They have
    been working a long time with AudioClip and just stopped working.
    sampled sound says it does not support the format.

    Perhaps the problem is Vista or the sound card and some lack of
    support. I am going to have to spend some time preparing a whacking
    great set of samples and see what it eats.

    Roedy Green, Sep 1, 2008
  5. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 02:54:48 -0700 (PDT), Andrew Thompson
    who said :

    >How do applets using the javax.sound API go?

    sorry, AudioClip is fine . sun.audio.AudioPlayer is the proprietary
    deprecated sound interface.

    Roedy Green, Sep 2, 2008