    support these formats yet.

    Thanks,
    Chris

    Chris Gokey, Sep 3, 2004

  2. Chris Gokey

    Lee Guest

    Have a look at Helix for RealPlayer. You'll find that it's a load of
    bullshit. Real will not give away their encodings. Same with Windows I
    think. There's a surprise.

    Closed source. Shite.

    Stick with mpeg if I was you.

    Lee, Sep 4, 2004

  3. In case anyone is interested, I ended up putting together a small Java
    application in Linux that does the conversion from Windows Media and Real
    Audio on the fly to MP3 using native Linux applications (lame, mplayer, and
    fifos). This is a definite hack. But, this hack does work for my case and
    I can now use a Linksys WML11B wireless music device to read stream besides
    MP3.

    I've only tested this under Linux so far. Let me know if anyone finds this
    useful. Beside Linksys, it may also work with other devices that can only
    read MP3 streams (netgear, homepod, d-link, aireo, soundblaster, etc.); so
    if anyone has one, I'd be interested in your results.

    This is more of a hack, I'd much rather prefer to a pure java solution to
    this, so if anyone runs across or knows of a Java implementation similar to
    mplayer and lame, I'd like to give it a try and replace these native calls.

    See these links for more info and where to grab the source:
    README
    http://home.comcast.net/~cgokey/java/mp3/README.txt

    Application
    http://home.comcast.net/~cgokey/java/mp3/mp3.tar.gz