Autentication dialog

Jeff Dillon

Turn off Anonymous authentication, turn on Basic.

You'll get a dialog.

Otherwise, just make a standard form with 2 text fields?

Jeff

Ricardo

How can I make an autentication dialog, to get a user name and a password???

[]s...

Jeff Dillon

Did you try it? Any page will get the dialog (but only the first one)

Set NTFS permssions on the pages.

Jeff
Ricardo said:
but i a user type a complete url with the page(some other page in the
site, not the one with dialog) how can i make the page call the dialog
again???
So there I can protect all the site...

Ricardo said:
How can I make an autentication dialog, to get a user name and a password???

[]s...

Guest

Hi Ricardo,
Follow what Jeff says that should work if u uncheck Anonymous
Access in ur IIS.
And what sort of Authentication are u looking for?

Ricardo

Ricardo said:
How can I make an autentication dialog, to get a user name and a password???

[]s...

Ricardo Luceac

I'm thinking of use the domain account, the web site will be in the
enterprise intranet... But I'll have to look out how to do this...
The problem with setting the site to permissions is that there's others
sites in the intranet... If I set IIS to ask for password, it will ask
for a password for every site, even the publics ones... right???

[]s....

Jeff Dillon

Would you please try these things before asking?? The answer is NO, you set
authentication for each site, not the whole of IIS.

If this is on an intranet, then you can use Windows Integrated
authentication. You won't even need to use a login/password dialog. May I
suggest you get a book on IIS and how it authenticates. I wrote one on IIS4
a few years back, I'm sure there are more recent books out there.

But get busy a try a few things first yourself. Install IIS on your own box,
and try to get to it from other machines, for example.

Jeff

Patrick.O.Ige

Ricardo,
The best thing to do is to try and implement an example urself!!!
I'm not sure what you are trying to do is to implement security on an
intranet.
If that is right then u need Windows Authentication(Which if u have an
Active Directory u could validate against
it as a data store since all user credentials are there)
And u could also have NTFS permission (but the user would be prompted with
logon dialog everytime they
visit the site)
If what u want is Windows Auth i can guide to that..

Ricardo said:
How can I make an autentication dialog, to get a user name and a password???

[]s...

Bliss

I would write an include that is part of evey aspx. I would store a
value in the session collection or the cookie collection that states
if the user is logged in. If not redirect to the login page. That is a
pretty standard way for web.

if(Session["LoggedIn"] == null){
Response.Redirect("www.hampsterdance.com");
}

Ricardo Luceac said:
I'm thinking of use the domain account, the web site will be in the
enterprise intranet... But I'll have to look out how to do this...
The problem with setting the site to permissions is that there's others
sites in the intranet... If I set IIS to ask for password, it will ask
for a password for every site, even the publics ones... right???

[]s....

Jeff Dillon

Not for an intranet

Ricardo Luceac said:
I'm thinking of use the domain account, the web site will be in the
enterprise intranet... But I'll have to look out how to do this...
The problem with setting the site to permissions is that there's others
sites in the intranet... If I set IIS to ask for password, it will ask
for a password for every site, even the publics ones... right???

[]s....

Ricardo Luceac

Yes, what I'm trying to do is implement security in the intranet, I need
that the users of my intranet be auth. to use the site. The problem is
that my domain is nt 4 and I don't want that every user on the domain
have access to that site... If I turn windows auth. in the IIS and give
permission to the directorys of the site only to the people I want to
use it, will work???

The user may logon but will have an access denied???

[]s...

Ricardo Luceac

Yeah, I think of that, but if the user go direct to a page that have
this instructions, doesn't it will generate an error that the variable
isn't declared???

[]s...

Jeff Dillon

You need to add the users you want access into a local group on the IIS box.
Add domain users or global groups into a local group on the IIS box, then
use NTFS to set permissions. Users that are set up correctly won't get a
dialog at all, but users that are denied access will get Access Denied.

Again, please TRY IT before continuing to ask questions.

Jeff

Bliss

You could set up an ISAPI filter on your root web to forward all
requests to a page that creates this session or you could create in an
application var on start up. Lots of ways to do this.