AUTH_USER & LOGON_USER server variables

Mark Rae

Hi,

I apologise that this isn't *specifically* an ASP.NET issue - I will also
post it to the IIS newsgroup - but I thought I'd ask here anyway on the
off-chance that someone may have come across this before...

It's an intranet system written in ASP.NET v1.1 using C#. The site is
running on IIS6 on Win2k3S with all the SPs and patches etc.

The Session_Start interrogates the AUTH_USER server variable to identify the
current user. This is then used to query ActiveDirectory, and the site
dynamically configures itself according to which AD groups the current user
is a member of - fairly standard stuff.

However, one of the users has recently changed her name, let's say from Anne
Smith to Anne Jones. As far as I can tell, this has been changed throughout
ActiveDirectory. The user now logs into her Windows XP desktop as
(e-mail address removed) instead of (e-mail address removed).

However, although the LOGON_USER server variable correctly shows her as
DOMAIN\Anne.Jones, the AUTH_USER server variable still shows her as
DOMAIN\Anne.Smith - why is this? What / where needs to be changed for the
AUTH_USER server variable to show the new name?

I found the following site:
http://www.codeproject.com/asp/request_server_variables.asp which says that
AUTH_USER is: "The name of the user as it is derived from the authorization
header sent by the client, before the user name is mapped to a Windows
account. This variable is no different from REMOTE_USER. If you have an
authentication filter installed on your Web server that maps incoming users
to accounts, use LOGON_USER to view the mapped user name."

What *actually* is the authorization header which the client is sending, and
where is the old name still coming from?

Any assistance gratefully received.

Mark

P.S. the solution is obvious... use LOGON_USER instead of AUTH_USER in
Session_Start - but I'm now curious as to why AUTH_USER is still being
populated with the old name