Authenticate against Active Directory

Bud

I would like to be able to pass a request to IIS to have a user name and
password authenticated against my Active Directory Users database. I'm
running Server 2003 however my web pages are build using ASP (not .NET).
What I want to do is to open the standard User Name/Password form (I don't
know how to do that either) and then make my request and get back a
True/False result. There must be a way to do that but I haven't found it
after 3 hours of searching the web.
Thanks,
Bud

TomB

I assume this is on an Intranet (otherwise your going to need to create a
lot of users in AD)

If you set the IIS authentication to "Windows Authentication" and set the
NTFS permissions on the folders on your site, your users will be
automatically authenticated.

If you'd like to capture the username then you can use
Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER")

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2046

Tom B

Bud

Tom - thanks for your suggestion. However, I don't want to have everyone
that visits my site to logon. Some of the pages that are in the site give
the visitor a chance to download files. The files are to be placed there by
"the owner" of that page. So what I want to do it to have an unlock icon on
the page that the "owner" can click on (and so could others but they
wouldn't know the password). An emtpy form field would be presented and the
"owner" would then enter his/her password. I already know the "owner's"
user id associated with that page. Now having the user id and password, I
want to query AD to verify that the password is valid for that user. Sounds
simple to me, but I sure can't figure out how or if it can be done. I could
always create a table in the database that goes with this application and
authenticate using it, however, that would force my users to remember
another password.

Bud

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

Bud said:
[...]

Ok - so use the same solution that was suggested but only lock down the
"owner" area ...

Bud

Tom,

I would lock down the "owner" area, but those pages still need to be
available to the general public. I might be able to create a completely
different set of pages that would allow my "owners" to go to when they need
to modify the content of their public pages. However, that means
maintaining two sets of pages and I'm sure they would be out of synch real
soon. I have a firewall (Linux based) that offers an option to authenicate
against Active Directory, so I'm thinking there should be some way to do
that in VBScript and ASP. What am I missing here?

Bud