authenticate programatically and launch browser

Discussion in 'Java' started by kaj3kar@gmail.com, Jul 18, 2007.

    I need something similar to what GoogleTalk/YahooMessenger has. The
    program authenticates and when I click on the mail icon, a web browser
    opens up to google/yahoo already authenticated.

    I am using tomcat and I have managed to programatically login and get
    a jsessionId. Now, I try to launch the browser to a URL with
    jsessionid in the path parameter. The page which returns, makes calls
    to other protected resources, which will not have jseesionid in the
    path and will hence fail.

    I thought is writing a servlet which would copy the jsessionid from
    the path and set it as cookies. But this is something i cannot do
    because if i already have a running browser instance logged in as some
    other user, it fails (and there are some other issues)

    So I was wondering if there is anything else i can do. Capturing the
    http traffic of google talk and yahoo messenger revealed that these
    programs use an auth code in the url based on which the server will
    authenticate and set the cookies. I am wondering if this is a standard
    mechanism and can i do something like this with tomcat ?

    Thanks
    , Jul 18, 2007