authenticate programatically and launch browser

kaj3kar

Hi,
I need something similar to what GoogleTalk/YahooMessenger has. The
program authenticates and when I click on the mail icon, a web browser
opens up to google/yahoo already authenticated.

I am using tomcat and I have managed to programatically login and get
a jsessionId. Now, I try to launch the browser to a URL with
jsessionid in the path parameter. The page which returns, makes calls
to other protected resources, which will not have jseesionid in the
path and will hence fail.

I thought is writing a servlet which would copy the jsessionid from
the path and set it as cookies. But this is something i cannot do
because if i already have a running browser instance logged in as some
other user, it fails (and there are some other issues)

So I was wondering if there is anything else i can do. Capturing the
http traffic of google talk and yahoo messenger revealed that these
programs use an auth code in the url based on which the server will
authenticate and set the cookies. I am wondering if this is a standard
mechanism and can i do something like this with tomcat ?

Thanks