Authenticate user is in local NT group

Bob

I have an IIS server (Windows Server 2003) on an NT domain. I have an ASPX
page (using C# and .NET 2.0) which queries a bunch of files (an index server
query) and then displays links of the matching files to the user. The links
are network UNC paths into the same server. The share is secured by a local
NT group which I can populate with domain NT groups and users.

However, though the files themselves are protected, any user can go to the
query page and submit a query (even though they cannot see the file
contents). Basically I need a way to determine if the user (anonymous users
are disabled) is within the local NT group I have created. Currently to
perform this authentication I simply try to open a known file on the share
within the ASPX page (the server is impersonating the user). If the file
open fails, then the user is not authenticated. Though this has been
working fine, I would like to write C# in the ASPX page which authenticates
the user "the right way."

Can somebody please tell me what is the correct ASPX method for
authenticating the current user in a local NT group?

Thanks

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello Bob,

simply call Page.User.IsInRole("MachineName\GroupName");