Authenticate users using AD and LDAP

Sync Walantaji

Hi,
I would like to write a asp.net winform program to authenticate users
on Active Directory.

Can I do this with asp.net if the IIS server is not part of the Active
directory domain?

Is there a working example link that you can point me to?

Thanks

Sync Walantaji

I'm confused by the IIS setup.
It says you need to put in a domain account.
Does this means any domain account that can login to the domain will
work as an IIS account?

Guest

Yep..
Yes so far u have a domain and the users have accts in the domain it will
work!
U just have to pass the LDAP path of ur domain.
Just make sure that in IIS the virtual directory where ur application
resides has the
Anonymous Access clicked or forms Auth won't work.
[its under the directory Security tab ]
Enjoy..
Patrick

Sync Walantaji

I'm getting the following errors while submitting the form:

1.Error authenticating. Error authenticating user.
A referral was returned from the server
2.Error authenticating. Error obtaining group names. The specified
domain either does not exist or could not be contacted

What's the correct syntax to replace this?:
String adPath = "LDAP://DC=..,DC=..";
//Path to you LDAP directory server

I tried
String adPath =
"LDAP://domainname.company.com/DC=domainname,DC=company,DC=com";

String adPath =
"LDAP://domainname.company.com/ou=active,ou=company.com";

Basically No clue.
I can see the program is contacting Domain controller and is using
kerberros because tcp ports is active....
I have tried using this code on two different domains. One I created
myself, one from company central AD. Neither works.
I can logon to domain shares without any problem, so I know the
username and password is good on both domain.

Can someone help to teach me to debug this?

Patrick.O.Ige

Hi Sync,
Actually the form Auth on the msdn never worked completely for me
too!But ur LDAP should be like
this :-String adPath =LDAP://code.com.au/DC=code,DC=com,DC=au
'm not quiet sure now bcos i'm out of the office on the road.
What i noticed in the code is that i could never get group Names.
So my advice is comment out the function code that is meant to get the
GROUPS and 'm sure u would authenticate!
If not mail me to (e-mail address removed) and i'd help u sort that out.
Enjoy
Patrick

Sync Walantaji

Ok, it's working except the group thing...
Thanks

Hi Sync,
Actually the form Auth on the msdn never worked completely for me
too!But ur LDAP should be like
this :-String adPath =LDAP://code.com.au/DC=code,DC=com,DC=au
'm not quiet sure now bcos i'm out of the office on the road.
What i noticed in the code is that i could never get group Names.
So my advice is comment out the function code that is meant to get the
GROUPS and 'm sure u would authenticate!
If not mail me to (e-mail address removed) and i'd help u sort that out.
Enjoy
Patrick

Guest

Good its working...
If you are interested in getting the groups let me know!
Enjoy!
Patrick