Authenticating a user by secure login

I have designed a C# application that will populate a database with customer
information and email a randomly generated password to them. I would like
them to have the ability to update their details on a form via secure login.
I'm looking for a web tutorial or book recommendation that can explain the
correct way to validate an email address and password from a database and
allow the changed password to be written back. It would also be useful to
know how to process forgotten passwords.

Gopal \(FMS, Inc.\)

The following link on Microsoft's website may be of some help:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...uide/html/cpconSimpleCookieAuthentication.asp
Item # 4 of the article is where you will have to implement your custom
validation of the email address and password against your database.

As far as the forgotten passwords is concerned, I would take the following
approach. I would implement code that retrieves password from the database
given an email address and use SMTP (look up SmtpMail.Send function) to
automatically email out the password to the email. This ensures that the
email address is genuine and only the person that has ownership of the email
account has access to the webpage. http://ASP.NET may be a good resource for
this.

Hope this helps.
--