Authenticating Users on an Intranet

adamz90

Greetings all,

I have a question if I may. I have written a web-based application
using ASP.NET and VB.NET. The application resides on our intranet. I
would like to authenticate the users without making them enter a user
name and password since they were already authenticated when they
logged into their machine. Is this possible? How can I do that? How
would I be able to get the user name?

Thank you very much in advance.

Adam

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello (e-mail address removed),

sure - just change to <Authentication Mode="Windows" /> in web.config
and remove anonymous access in the directory security tab in IIS

adamz90

Dominick,

Thank you kindly for the quick response. I do have the Authentication
Mode="Windows" and anonymous access unchecked (I have Integrated
Windows checked). However, when I request the page, I get the log in
dialoug box. I am hoping to bypass the log in dialoug all together.
Any thoughts?

Thanks again in advance.

Adam

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello (e-mail address removed),

make sure the user has at least read ACLs on the NTFS files...that should
help :)

cheers

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello (e-mail address removed),

i assume you have a domain environment?

Brock Allen

If they're using FireFox then they'll still get prompted. I think there's
a plug-in somewhere for FireFix to pass the integrated windows credentials
automatically... If this is your problem, I'd go google for the plug-in.

adamz90

Dominick,

Again, thanks for your quick feedback. The users do have read ACLs on
the folder where the application is, and yes, we have a domain
environment.

I am not sure what's going on.

Adam

Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor]

Hello (e-mail address removed),

Try turning on Auditing for all logon events and object access in your web
app...

maybe that gives you some hints

adamz90

The web server is on a Win 2000 machine while the development machine
is a Win XP Pro machine. Does that make any difference?

Dominick, thank you kindly for the feedback. Greatly appreciate it.

Adam