Authentication/Configuration/Web.Config Error?

Matt

I am getting the following Error.

Configuration Error
file required to service this request. Please review the specific error
details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 15: </compilation>
Line 16: <customErrors mode="Off" />
Line 17: <authentication mode="Forms">
Line 18: <forms name="greensboro" path="/"
loginUrl="/greensboro/Tools/ManualLogin.aspx" protection="All"
timeout="90" >
Line 19: </forms>

Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Greensboro\web.config Line: 17

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300;
ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300

I am using MCMS, but from all my research I have found that this may be
a .NET configuration issue and not an MCMS issue.

I am getting this issue on SOME pages, but not ALL from within my site.
I have looked through the code but have not spotted any differences
from one page to the next, so I am not exactly sure what might be
causing the error.

If i change the authentication type or I remove the authentication
block in the Web.Config I still get the same issue.

Any help appreciated...

Thanks
Matt

Chris Fulstow

Hi Matt,

This is usually caused by one of two things:

1) A virtual directory is not configured as an application when it
should be, as the errors says. To fix this, open IIS, righ-click the
offending folder and select Properties. Select the Directory tab then
click the Create button under Application Settings.

2) One of your sub folders contains a web.config file that shouldn't be
there. .NET will think the folder should be an application, so it
complains. Simply move or delete the web.config file.

Hope that helps,

Chris

Matt

Chris said:
Hi Matt,

This is usually caused by one of two things:

1) A virtual directory is not configured as an application when it
should be, as the errors says. To fix this, open IIS, righ-click the
offending folder and select Properties. Select the Directory tab then
click the Create button under Application Settings.

I have done this before, but for the sake of this argument I removed
the Application and re-created it.
2) One of your sub folders contains a web.config file that shouldn't be
there. .NET will think the folder should be an application, so it
complains. Simply move or delete the web.config file.

I have done a search on all subfolders an none of them contain a
web.config file. However I did find a web.config file under a
sub-virtual (non-application) that when removed fixed the problem
Hope that helps,

Chris

Thanks
Matt