    I login using SSL to read my mail but then Hotmails switches to HTTP. So,
    anyone can take my cookie and read my mail?

    Thanks a lot.

    Kirsten, Aug 13, 2009

  2. A good read to start with is Foundstone's ASP.NET Autentication white paper:
    http://bit.ly/10o9xL

    It has many techniques to reduce your exposure. In general, if you are using
    SSL for the cookie, it will always be passed back SSL. This is done in web
    config by setting the requireSSL to true. You should also consider setting
    protection to ALL so the actual data is protected. With the two, you have
    greatly reduced the footprint. It is also useful to avoid any user data on
    the client side, which can be done quite easily by using the Membership bits
    (even if yours are customized).

    The Foundstone white paper has suggestions on pages 9-10 to help you make
    things more secure. Using their guidelines, you should make your footprint
    small enough to avoid casual hacker, and even most routine hackers.
    Depending on your site, this is probably enough.

    Further security? An IP address added to the session check makes an even
    smaller vector. As IPs can be spoofed, as well, it only reduces the vector.
    But making the target smaller certainly makes it harder to hit and requires
    the hacker have more experience.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Twitter: @gbworld

    | Think outside the box! |

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Aug 15, 2009