Authentication

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by IntraRELY, Dec 12, 2003.

  1. IntraRELY

    IntraRELY Guest

    I have a web services pages that is pulling is DataSet. The local VB.NET
    uses this DataSet to print some reports and then sends the status back to
    the web service indicating whether it failed or not. The local VB.NET
    application is initiated from an ASPX page. The whole ASP.NET application
    uses forms authentication. I see two issues that I may come across:

    1.) I dont know of a way to by pass the forms authentication when calling
    the web service. Even when I create it in the Windows form on the local
    VB.NET application, I get a default login box for the application. I am
    thinking that there must be a way to either exclude that particulat file or
    create another application with just the web service in it(which brings me
    to my other question).

    2.) I dont believe ASP.NET forms authenticatoin can authenticate the local
    VB.NET application through the web services file. Even thought I have access
    to the asp application, I get an error in the local VB.NET application that
    it cannot access the web service. It seems I must build the secutity into
    the web service and exclude (somehow) the web service from the web project.
    Is there a way to pass the crendials the are located in the Cookie that the
    form authentication created and "carry over" to the client application to
    pass to the web service.

    Hope this makes sense,

    STeve Wofford
    www.IntraRELY.com

    IntraRELY, Dec 12, 2003

  2. IntraRELY

    MSFT Guest

    Hi Steve,

    We cannot use "form authentication" with Web service. Normally, we will use
    Windows authentication with a web service. Another qork around is to add
    two parameters in your web method: UserName and Password.

    Luke
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    MSFT, Dec 12, 2003

  3. IntraRELY

    IntraRELY Guest

    Thanks Luke,

    That makes sense. But to authenticate I would pass the username and password
    that is hard coded in the calling applicaton or let them enter manually.
    Then I would recieve the parameters in the web service. I could then use the
    database I normally use to authenticate the forms authentication. If
    sucessful the can use the other functions in the web service.

    Let me know if that sounds like I am going down the right track.

    Steve Wofford
    www.IntraRELY.com

    IntraRELY, Dec 12, 2003
  4. IntraRELY