Authenticator mozilla apache

notHere

Environment: java1.4.2_07, mozilla or firefox, apache 1.3.x

I have an applet interface which connects to a host requiring
authentication using basic authentication. The encrypted id/password is
returned to the browser client in the html as parameters for the applet.
When the applet starts the first thing done is to read the parameters
and create and Authenticator object using the id and password. This
should allow java to access the host to get data from apache.

However, with mozilla and jre1.4.2_0[5678] it this is not working. It
works fine with IE6. I used enthereal to watch the protocol packets.

Under IE6 the first cgi call to the host goes like the following:

GET /cgi-bin/bop.cgi HTTP/1.1
HTTP/1.1 401 Authorization Required (text/html)
HEAD /cgi-bin/bop.cgi HTTP/1.1 <-- has the Authorization header line
HTTP/1.1 200 HTTP_OK
GET /cgi-bin/bop.cgi HTTP/1.1 <-- has the Authorization header line
HTTP/1.1 200 HTTP_OK

Under mozilla the first cgi to the host goes as follows:

GET /cgi-bin/bop.cgi HTTP/1.1
HTTP/1.1 401 Authorization Required (text/html)
Dialog pops up for authentication.

The dialog says:

Password Needed - Networking
Firewall: machineName/machineIP
Realm: BOP - machineName
Scheme: basic
User Name: _____________________
Password: _____________________

We are not using any firewalls. It appears that the Authenticator
object is not being used under mozilla. This was all working fine under
jre1.4.2_04 (windows, sun and linux) and then has failed in later versions.

Anyone have any ideas on what is happening here?

notHere

Roedy said:
see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/authentication.html
for background info on authentication. I have it working in all kinds
of environments without trouble.

Roedy,

Thanks for the reply. Actually, what is stated on the web site is how I
implemented it. All was working fine up through 1.4.2_04. No problems
at all. With the advent 1.4.2_05 the Authenticator object seems to be
ignored under mozilla. On occasion IE6 also exhibits the same
behaviour, though I have yet to determine what those conditons are.
There is some discussion up on the Sun bug site that it is still
happening in java1.5, though we have not started using it yet.

I am wondering if there is some setting in apache that needs to be done
to handle this issue.