Authorization Manager Interop availability (azroles)

Daniel Jin

I read Keith Brown's article on utilizing AzMan in .NET
<reflink>http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/11/Aut
horizationManager</reflink>. I am planning on testing it
in the application I'm writing. in the article, it is
mentioned that AzMan should be available on windows 2000
machine with sp4 installed without the MMC snapin,
however, after much digging around on my 2000 professional
(with sp4 of course) dev machine, I could not find such
COM object. does anyone know if it is available on 2000,
if so, is it Server or Professional? or is there anyway I
can obtain it for my box (via download etc.) any help is
greatly appretiated.

Daniel Jin

ps. I don't have 2003 server available in my environment

Chaitanya D. Upadhyay [MS]

Do remember that you will have to use a Win2003 DC in native mode for the
policy storage in Active Directory. The runtime can be on the Win2000
machine.

Amit Chawla

Hi Daniel,

I am having a similar problem. I downloaded the AzMan runtime from the
MS website and installed it on my windows 2000 professional SP4 box.

1. I created an auth store using the snap in on the 2003 machine.
2. Copied the XML file on the windows 2000 pro box
3. Tried to open the store using Keith Brown's AzBench

And, I got the following COMException:
_message "Class not registered"
ErrorCode -2147221164

I have a feeling that the installer for AzMan runtime did not do its
job correctly.

Have you had any luck?

Thanks
Amit Chawla

Amit Chawla

Dave/Chaitanya/Daniel/Anyone

Does Windows 2000 Professional SP4 support Authorization Manager? I
need to use this technology and unforunately we dont have a policy of
using server operating systems on our PCs...

Please help...

Thanks,
Amit Chawla

Chaitanya D. Upadhyay [MS]

Sorry for the late response, but the Windows 2000 AzMan is supported for
server only.