Authorization not working as expected

las

I have created a web service and a simple ASP.Net page that makes calls
to the web service (the page roughly mimics the standard Visual Studio
web service test page).

Running on //localhost, if I disable Windows Authentication in IIS,
both my test page and the VS test page work just fine. But if I enable
Windows Authentication, my test page gives a (401) Unauthorized error
when it tries to call a web service function. Calls from the VS test
page work fine.

My web service web.config has:
<authentication mode="Windows" />
<authorization>
<allow users="*" verbs="*" />
</authorization>

My test page web.config has:
<authentication mode="Windows" />
<!-- <identity impersonate="true" /> --> I've tried this both ways
<authorization>
<allow users="*" />
</authorization>

machine.config also sets windows authentication and allow users=*

More info:
For testing, I created a simple web service method that returns the
current user name (User.Identity.Name). The method returns the correct
user name, indicating that windows authentication is working (of
course, I only see this when using the VS test form to make the call).

I also display the current user name on my test form, and it is
correct.

I am flailing! Any ideas why I get the unauthorized error?

Thanks!
Lee

las

Whoops! I missed the section in the documentation that says: "To pass
client credentials to an XML Web service using Windows authentication"

I didn't realize that my client had to *send* this info -- on an
intranet I assumed that it just happend.

Back to the books....

Lee