auto expand for text in a web page

Jerry C

I am creating a web page that will be printed.

Text is comming from SQL server varchar(xxx) fields.
The text was entered from asp.net textboxes.

The problem is I need to ensure all the text if visible on the page for
printing.

Solution1.
I put the text from the sql server in a textbox. There is one problem the
textbox does on auto size to display all the text. I can write some code to
try to calculate the number of rows in the text and set the multiline and
rows property to open the text box. This is not exact so some of the last
rows can be missing or there are extra blank lines in the textbox

Solution2.
Use a label or Div to display the text since they will autosize. the problem
with this is the line breaks do not work and all the text runs togeather.

The question is how can I display this text so it all displays. This site
does a good job of this. When I look at the page that displays when a post is
double clicked it has been formated and breaks have been inserted any hints
on how this is done.
Or is there a easer way

Thank you

Thank you

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Jerry,

Based on your description, I think the main problems here are the following
two:

1. to display the text on web page as expandable mode

2. preserve those line breaks in the text

For this issue, I think you can consider the following approach:

In ASP.NET web page, the output is html/xhtml in which line break is
different from normal text. In normal text, line break is \n or \r\n.
However, this is not the case in HTML, which use <br/> tag as line break.
Therefore, I suggest you use some additional code to do the replacement for
those text retrieved from database. The entire solution will be something
like this:

** first, retrieve the text from database, and do a string replacement on
the text(replace all the \n or \r\n with <br/>)

e.g.

=============
<ItemTemplate>
<%# ((string)Eval("field name")).Replace("\n", "<br/>") %>
</ItemTemplate>
===============

**display the text(after replacement) in a Label or <div>(which is
expandable)

Here are some web threads discussing on the same problem which has included
different kind of code examples:

http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?t=104153

http://www.mikesdotnetting.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=20

http://forums.asp.net/p/1257227/2340359.aspx

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Jerry,

How are you doing?

Does the information in my last reply help you some? If there is anything
else we can help, welcome to post here.

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 04:07:03 GMT
Subject: RE: auto expand for text in a web page