Auto fill out the web form and download in 2nd step

Discussion in 'HTML' started by duzhidian@gmail.com, Nov 8, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello:

    I need a program, which I can provide it many keywords, and then fill
    it with a URL and let it automatically fill the form and then let itr
    click the "submit" button.

    Now if I use web browser, I will get the second page. I need the
    program find the related line and download that link.

    Since I need to fill the form thousands time, it's impossible to do it
    manually.

    What's kind of program can do that?

    Thanks.

    Z. D.
    ..
     
    , Nov 8, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Ben C Guest

    On 2006-11-08, <> wrote:
    > Hello:
    >
    > I need a program, which I can provide it many keywords, and then fill
    > it with a URL and let it automatically fill the form and then let itr
    > click the "submit" button.
    >
    > Now if I use web browser, I will get the second page. I need the
    > program find the related line and download that link.
    >
    > Since I need to fill the form thousands time, it's impossible to do it
    > manually.
    >
    > What's kind of program can do that?


    There's one called "curl" which does most of it. You will also need to
    use a scripting language of some sort to get the link out of the second
    page, which can then call curl again to download that.

    You might like to look at "twill" as well, although I've never tried
    that one.
     
    Ben C, Nov 8, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. wrote:

    > I need a program, which I can provide it many keywords, and then fill
    > it with a URL and let it automatically fill the form and then let itr
    > click the "submit" button.


    Anyone who can write PHP/Perl/ASP scripts could write such a program.

    > Now if I use web browser, I will get the second page. I need the
    > program find the related line and download that link.


    Doing it once manually should provide that link.

    > Since I need to fill the form thousands time, it's impossible to do
    > it manually.


    Would you mind explaining *why* you need to do this .. thousands of
    times .. as what you describe is exactly what spammers do to insecure
    web forms. Are you a spammer? Are you participating in some sort of
    click fraud scheme?

    --
    -bts
    -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 8, 2006
    #3
  4. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > wrote:

    <snip>
    >> Since I need to fill the form thousands time, it's impossible to do
    >> it manually.

    >
    > Would you mind explaining *why* you need to do this .. thousands of
    > times .. as what you describe is exactly what spammers do to insecure
    > web forms. Are you a spammer? Are you participating in some sort of
    > click fraud scheme?
    >


    Sure stinks of such to me, that is why I did not offer any advice. Just
    what the world needs another "spammer wantabe"!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
     
    Jonathan N. Little, Nov 8, 2006
    #4
  5. Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> wrote:

    > <snip>
    >>> Since I need to fill the form thousands time, it's impossible to do
    >>> it manually.

    >>
    >> Would you mind explaining *why* you need to do this .. thousands of
    >> times .. as what you describe is exactly what spammers do to
    >> insecure web forms. Are you a spammer? Are you participating in some
    >> sort of click fraud scheme?

    >
    > Sure stinks of such to me, that is why I did not offer any advice.
    > Just what the world needs another "spammer wantabe"!


    I was waiting to see if anyone offered a similar reply. <g>

    There is a persistent spammer who has found one of my contact forms. He
    will try about twice a week, sending a group of three .. tests, I guess.
    Usually the fields are stuffed with a long list of AOL addresses, even a
    radio button field. Naturally, the form does not send to these
    addresses, nor to my client; instead, it relays to me so I can see the
    folly of his ways, and get a laugh out of it. He is also using zombied
    computers from all over the planet to do this.

    --
    -bts
    -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 8, 2006
    #5
  6. David Segall Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    >
    >Would you mind explaining *why* you need to do this .. thousands of
    >times .. as what you describe is exactly what spammers do to insecure
    >web forms. Are you a spammer? Are you participating in some sort of
    >click fraud scheme?

    Perhaps he is a "white hat" spammer. I have always wanted to respond
    to my email spam by visiting the web site and responding by "buying"
    the product in a way that incurs a cost for the spammer. Do the credit
    card companies charge for checking a credit card?
     
    David Segall, Nov 8, 2006
    #6
  7. David Segall wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:
    >> Would you mind explaining *why* you need to do this .. thousands of
    >> times .. as what you describe is exactly what spammers do to
    >> insecure web forms. Are you a spammer? Are you participating in some
    >> sort of click fraud scheme?

    >
    > Perhaps he is a "white hat" spammer.


    Is there such a thing?

    I wouldn't consider a person who wants to hit my web form "thousands
    time" as wearing a white hat.

    > I have always wanted to respond to my email spam by visiting the web
    > site and responding by "buying" the product in a way that incurs a
    > cost for the spammer. Do the credit card companies charge for
    > checking a credit card?


    Not if you make up a number ... :) Use one that you see in a tv
    commercial - guaranteed to be incorrect. (People really do try to buy
    stuff with those numbers.)

    Oh, and remember they will have your IP address, if they want to start a
    fraud charge.

    --
    -bts
    -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 8, 2006
    #7
  8. John Salerno Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Oh, and remember they will have your IP address, if they want to start a
    > fraud charge.


    Do it from a public computer? :)
     
    John Salerno, Nov 8, 2006
    #8
  9. John Salerno wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> Oh, and remember they will have your IP address, if they want to
    >> start a fraud charge.

    >
    > Do it from a public computer? :)


    That might work if you wear Groucho glasses and pay in cash...

    --
    -bts
    -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 8, 2006
    #9
  10. Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I need a program, which I can provide it many keywords, and then fill
    > > it with a URL and let it automatically fill the form and then let itr
    > > click the "submit" button.

    >
    > Anyone who can write PHP/Perl/ASP scripts could write such a program.
    >
    > > Now if I use web browser, I will get the second page. I need the
    > > program find the related line and download that link.

    >
    > Doing it once manually should provide that link.
    >
    > > Since I need to fill the form thousands time, it's impossible to do
    > > it manually.

    >
    > Would you mind explaining *why* you need to do this .. thousands of
    > times .. as what you describe is exactly what spammers do to insecure
    > web forms. Are you a spammer? Are you participating in some sort of
    > click fraud scheme?


    I am not a sapmmer. I need to download some data from a public web
    site and do some research on these data.




    >
    > --
    > -bts
    > -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck
     
    , Nov 8, 2006
    #10
  11. wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Since I need to fill the form thousands time, it's impossible to do
    >>> it manually.

    >>
    >> Would you mind explaining *why* you need to do this .. thousands of
    >> times .. as what you describe is exactly what spammers do to
    >> insecure web forms. Are you a spammer? Are you participating in some
    >> sort of click fraud scheme?

    >
    > I am not a sapmmer. I need to download some data from a public web
    > site and do some research on these data.


    Well, now I am even more curious. Are you expecting to generate a
    thousand web pages at once, all with answers you have to read? Or have
    the web form send you a thousand emails which will probably clog your
    Inbox?

    Not to mention abusing the database at this "research" site. And getting
    them blocked as a spammer by your ISP for generating a thousand emails
    in a few seconds.

    I think your task is doomed to failure.

    --
    -bts
    -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 8, 2006
    #11
  12. Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > >> wrote:
    > >>> Since I need to fill the form thousands time, it's impossible to do
    > >>> it manually.
    > >>
    > >> Would you mind explaining *why* you need to do this .. thousands of
    > >> times .. as what you describe is exactly what spammers do to
    > >> insecure web forms. Are you a spammer? Are you participating in some
    > >> sort of click fraud scheme?

    > >
    > > I am not a sapmmer. I need to download some data from a public web
    > > site and do some research on these data.

    >
    > Well, now I am even more curious. Are you expecting to generate a
    > thousand web pages at once, all with answers you have to read? Or have
    > the web form send you a thousand emails which will probably clog your
    > Inbox?
    >
    > Not to mention abusing the database at this "research" site. And getting
    > them blocked as a spammer by your ISP for generating a thousand emails
    > in a few seconds.
    >
    > I think your task is doomed to failure.



    Why say that? It is a online database which saves millions of data. I
    only need thousands of them. I have no other way to access the
    database. The only method I can use is to write a program to generate
    thousands of queries and fetch the data.
     
    , Nov 8, 2006
    #12
  13. wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> I think your task is doomed to failure.

    >
    > Why say that? It is a online database which saves millions of data.
    > I only need thousands of them.


    A thousand(s) requests in a couple of seconds could crash the server, or
    at the very least, block out all other users for some period of time.
    Don't be rude.

    > I have no other way to access the database.


    It is, after all, a web site/server.

    > The only method I can use is to write a program to generate thousands
    > of queries and fetch the data.


    Why don't you write to the webmaster/author/administrator of this site
    and ask for recommendations. Mention your plan to force a thousand
    requests in a few seconds.

    Please advise us of the response. Thanks.

    --
    -bts
    -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 8, 2006
    #13
  14. Ben C Guest

    On 2006-11-08, Beauregard T. Shagnasty <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>> I think your task is doomed to failure.

    >>
    >> Why say that? It is a online database which saves millions of data.
    >> I only need thousands of them.

    >
    > A thousand(s) requests in a couple of seconds could crash the server, or
    > at the very least, block out all other users for some period of time.
    > Don't be rude.


    That's a good point, it's usually a good idea to make the script sleep
    for a few seconds between each request when doing this kind of thing.
     
    Ben C, Nov 8, 2006
    #14
  15. David Segall Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    >David Segall wrote:
    >
    >> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:
    >>> Would you mind explaining *why* you need to do this .. thousands of
    >>> times .. as what you describe is exactly what spammers do to
    >>> insecure web forms. Are you a spammer? Are you participating in some
    >>> sort of click fraud scheme?

    >>
    >> Perhaps he is a "white hat" spammer.

    >
    >Is there such a thing?
    >
    >I wouldn't consider a person who wants to hit my web form "thousands
    >time" as wearing a white hat.
    >
    >> I have always wanted to respond to my email spam by visiting the web
    >> site and responding by "buying" the product in a way that incurs a
    >> cost for the spammer. Do the credit card companies charge for
    >> checking a credit card?

    >
    >Not if you make up a number ... :) Use one that you see in a tv
    >commercial - guaranteed to be incorrect. (People really do try to buy
    >stuff with those numbers.)

    What about one of their test numbers or a number that passes the
    preliminary checks for validity?
    >
    >Oh, and remember they will have your IP address, if they want to start a
    >fraud charge.

    It would not be fraud since I would not be receiving or paying for
    anything. In Australia, we do not have the extraordinary U.S. laws
    that seem to protect the credit card companies as though they were
    religions.
     
    David Segall, Nov 9, 2006
    #15
  16. John Salerno Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > John Salerno wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>
    >>> Oh, and remember they will have your IP address, if they want to
    >>> start a fraud charge.

    >> Do it from a public computer? :)

    >
    > That might work if you wear Groucho glasses and pay in cash...
    >


    How about at a library or some place like that? :)
     
    John Salerno, Nov 9, 2006
    #16
  17. John Salerno wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> John Salerno wrote:
    >>> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>>> Oh, and remember they will have your IP address, if they want to
    >>>> start a fraud charge.
    >>> Do it from a public computer? :)

    >>
    >> That might work if you wear Groucho glasses and pay in cash...

    >
    > How about at a library or some place like that? :)


    Depends on the library. Do they log your time via your library card? If
    so, the authorities could find out who was using a computer with that IP
    address at that certain time, and the library would have your name on
    the logs.

    I've been in a number of libraries across the US while traveling, to
    check email. I always stated to the librarian "I'm from New York
    traveling by motorcycle, and would I be able to check my email from one
    of your PCs?" They've always said yes. Without showing ID.

    OT: Bookstores are also good places to check your mail (no, not the
    chain stores, real bookstores).

    --
    -bts
    -Motorcycles defy gravity; cars just suck
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 9, 2006
    #17
  18. marika Guest

    On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 15:20:21 -0500,
    <> wrote:

    >
    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> >> wrote:
    >> >>> Since I need to fill the form thousands time, it's impossible to do
    >> >>> it manually.
    >> >>
    >> >> Would you mind explaining *why* you need to do this .. thousands of
    >> >> times .. as what you describe is exactly what spammers do to
    >> >> insecure web forms. Are you a spammer? Are you participating in some
    >> >> sort of click fraud scheme?
    >> >
    >> > I am not a sapmmer. I need to download some data from a public web
    >> > site and do some research on these data.

    >>
    >> Well, now I am even more curious. Are you expecting to generate a
    >> thousand web pages at once, all with answers you have to read? Or have
    >> the web form send you a thousand emails which will probably clog your
    >> Inbox?
    >>
    >> Not to mention abusing the database at this "research" site. And getting
    >> them blocked as a spammer by your ISP for generating a thousand emails
    >> in a few seconds.
    >>
    >> I think your task is doomed to failure.

    >
    >
    > Why say that? It is a online database which saves millions of data. I
    > only need thousands of them.


    You are saved

    > I have no other way to access the
    > database. The only method I can use is to write a program to generate
    > thousands of queries and fetch the data.
    >
     
    marika, Nov 11, 2006
    #18
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. jaap de verwant slachter
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,289
    jaap de verwant slachter
    Jul 1, 2003
  2. Roy in

    need step by step example

    Roy in, Aug 3, 2003, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    375
    Roy in
    Aug 3, 2003
  3. Steve Richter

    a step by step page

    Steve Richter, May 3, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    387
    Steve Richter
    May 3, 2005
  4. Chris Smith

    auto fill out web form

    Chris Smith, Sep 3, 2006, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    526
    Ravi Teja
    Sep 3, 2006
  5. xmanclick4
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    272
    xmanclick4
    Feb 14, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page