Auto-FTP-ing?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by (PeteCresswell), May 13, 2012.

  1. I finally got an IP cam working at a remote site and visible over
    the WAN.

    But bandwidth at the site is poor (400 mbps) and the motion
    suffers accordingly.

    Motion looks great when the cam is viewed locally.

    What I'm thinking:

    - Save a series of clips (maybe a 30-second clip every 29
    seconds).

    - Run something that automagically spots the latest clip,
    renames it, and uploads it to an FTP site with better
    bandwidth

    - Somehow create a web page with a link to the last clip
    that has been fully uploaded.

    Seems like, assuming sufficient bandwidth at the FTP site, the
    motion would be limited only by the user's bandwidth.

    If that is the case, can anybody say where to start on such a
    solution?

    I'm thinking just a scheduled .BAT or .CMD file - except that
    using the same file name all the time would seem to invite "In
    Use" conflicts between users trying to view and the upload
    process uploading the latest iteration.

    --
    Pete Cresswell
    (PeteCresswell), May 13, 2012

  2. Per Evan Platt:
    >I'm hoping you mean 400 kbps, and not 400mbps. Otherwise if you call
    >that poor bandwidth, I'm curious what the quality of the video is that
    >it stutters...

    Mea Culpa.

    It's even worse. I did a few runs of SpeedTest.net and upload
    speed is 45 kB/s. Yeah, that's 4-5.... not 4-5-0....
    --
    Pete Cresswell
    (PeteCresswell), May 14, 2012

  3. (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > Per Evan Platt:
    >> I'm hoping you mean 400 kbps, and not 400mbps. Otherwise if you call
    >> that poor bandwidth, I'm curious what the quality of the video is that
    >> it stutters...

    > Mea Culpa.
    >
    > It's even worse. I did a few runs of SpeedTest.net and upload
    > speed is 45 kB/s. Yeah, that's 4-5.... not 4-5-0....

    Dang! I think you will do better if you put a stamp on it!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, May 14, 2012
  4. Per Jonathan N. Little:

    >Dang! I think you will do better if you put a stamp on it!

    I've got the owner looking in to Comcast Cable.... we'll see.

    Meanwhile, I've actually got the beginnings of something going
    the FTP route:

    - Installed Serv-U on my home PC (where we have FIOS).

    - Installed an instance of the camera server (BlueIris)
    on a laptop at the camera's site.

    - Got BlueIris's built-in FTP functionality to upload an
    endless series of 20-second clips to my home PC.

    - Now we have a growing list of files on the home PC
    e.g.
    Cam3.20120514_105800.1024x576-15fps.avi
    Cam3.20120514_105900.1024x576-15fps.avi
    Cam3.20120514_110000.1024x576-15fps.avi
    Cam3.20120514_110100.1024x576-15fps.avi
    Cam3.20120514_110200.1024x576-15fps.avi

    I'm guessing I'll dope out a .CMD or .BAT on my own to
    auto-delete the oldest files.

    That leaves the task of writing HTML to automagically render the
    most recent file on a remote user's browser. NB: Render, not
    download as a file.

    Pete Cresswell
    (PeteCresswell), May 14, 2012