Auto Load of Nav Bar in Another Frame

Blade328

Hello People,

I have just started my first site; using frames; using flash navigatio
(generator produced and not coded by me)... I have a need fo
additional navigation but using my 'topframe' as space is running out.

The htm code for *.swf nagivation files are held between <Object
commands within my 'leftframenav' htm code.

OK, now the scene is set, here comes the question. I click a link o
the left nav bar and the link opens in my 'mainframe'. That's cool, O
and just as planned, however, once that page has loaded, I need
further *.swf nav bar to be placed in my 'topframe' which is called b
opening a page from my left navigation bar.

The position of the new nav bar needs to be exact within my 'topframe
(do I use tables? one row at top for my logo and the bottom row for th
nav bar?).

So say I click a link on my left nav bar for 'Projects', thi
'projects.htm' loads in the 'mainframe'.... what code needs to b
included within 'projects.htm' to place a new nav bar in the 'topframe
& within a table. The code needs to direct all of the required flas
htm within the <Object> command associated with the nav bar.

The generated code for the nav bars do not give me any option to inser
additional code to do two things in different frames with one click.

It's early and I maybe speaking gibberish.... but I hope I hav
explained the above OK (I know very little about this stuff).

Any help would be much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.

Blade328....

Blade32

Steve R.

Blade328 wrote in message ...
OK, now the scene is set, here comes the question. I click a link on
the left nav bar and the link opens in my 'mainframe'. That's cool, OK
and just as planned, however, once that page has loaded, I need a
further *.swf nav bar to be placed in my 'topframe' which is called by
opening a page from my left navigation bar.

Oddly enough I just stumbled across this website link below on a different
HTML forum.

What the designer has done is to introduce a new frameset when a link in
the left hand column is clicked, which includes a new header and content
frame. I'm sure it would work for you.

When the website opens click on the "News Updater" link in the left-hand
menu frame and see if it will work for you.

Click on ...
http://www.xmlssoftware.com/

Terry

Blade328 said:
Hello People,

I have just started my first site; using frames; using flash navigation
(generator produced and not coded by me)... I

Blade328

*ducks* and runs for the earplugs....

Jeffrey Silverman

I have just started my first site; using frames; using flash navigation

Are you *sure* you want to do this?????

Frames = bad idea for a newbie
Flash navigation = bad idea for a newbie

I say "newbie" because either technique can occasionally be used to good
effect. But it is VERY HARD.

Blade328

Jeffrey said:
navigation

Are you *sure* you want to do this?????...........

Jeffrey,

Although a newbie, frames give me the site look I am after...
static left navigation 'frame' and a scrollable 'main frame'. Ho
else can this be achieved without using frames?

I do not want a site where the whole page scrolls up... the left han
navigation must be static.

The other point about flash... point taken, however, there is a lo
of code out there available for use without knowing the full ins
outs of the language. After seeing some of the effects capable, i
also provides an incentive to learn and eventually code fo
yourself.

Blade32

Blade32

Mark Parnell

alt.html is a publicly available newsgroup. The website you are using is
stealing its content directly from there and pretending that it is their
own. There is no original material at all on the website you are looking
at now. It is all coming directly from usenet.

This web site ruins the threading of the messages - making it very
confusing for us to follow, as your posts are not in the right place in
the thread (in your case, your original post was halfway down the
thread). Also, because you can see all the previous posts on the screen,
you don't quote the text you are replying to - breaking one of the
foremost conventions on Usenet.

If you are posting from this 'forum' and have included any CSS then be
aware that the software the forum uses will strip any leading dots from
your CSS rules, making them invalid.

If you are reading a usenet post using this 'forum' then be aware that
any javascript examples you may see will have the indented formatting
removed and will be quite hard to read, and not what the author of those
examples intended.

I suggest you obtain a newsreader and visit us at
If you have no access to a newsreader, then try groups.google.com where
they allow you to sign up, post, receive replies, but they don't lie and
claim the content as there own.

People will listen to you if you do. We are all starting to ignore any
post from http://www.forum4designers.com

rf

Steve R. said:
Mark Parnell wrote in message ...

No *we* are not. There have already been some useful posts sent via
forum4designers.com

You must have your own "we". I am firmly in Marks "we" group, in fact I
created the first draft of that note he sent to them, and I am glad to see
it has been suitably upgraded.

I for one am getting pissed off with them. They do not know they are posting
to usenet so do not adhere to the unwritten protocols used here. They are
seemingly unable to post their messages into the corect place in a thread.
The web site in question introduces blatant errors in any code posted to it.
They are a total waste of time.

Then again... I am starting to think that you too are. Very close to my
killfile...

Cheers
Richard.

Mark Parnell

No *we* are not. There have already been some useful posts sent via
forum4designers.com

Well, *we* are. Haven't you noticed that very few people are replying to
any of them? Especially the regulars here who really know what they are
talking about?

Richard Cornford

rf said:
You must have your own "we". I am firmly in Marks "we"
group, in fact I created the first draft of that note he
sent to them, and I am glad to see it has been suitably upgraded.

Thank you for also bringing forum4desginers.com's initial deception and
ongoing incompetence to the attention of other groups. Without some sort
of reaction they would never be motivated to change.

They are seemingly unable to post their
messages into the corect place in a thread.

The failure to post to the correct place in threads is not actually the
fault of the posters from frorum4designers.com (beyond their obviously
misguided choice of Usenet access methods) it is a consequence of a
failure to implement RFC 1036 (Standard for Interchange of USENET
Messages) Section 2.2.5 (the "References" header) correctly by
frorum4designers.com. Instead of producing a References header that
contains the corresponding header (if any) from the post being replied
to, and appending the message ID of that post (as per RFC 1036),
forum4designers.com software is generating a References header
containing all of the message IDs from any messages already posted to
the thread (or, more likely, their concept of "view").

Unsurprisingly, newsreader software that was designed to conform with
RFC 1036 and get its threading information from the References header
doesn't know how to handle the meaningless References headers that are
sent and makes its best guess. The results are inconsistent, but
seemingly uniformly undesirable.

The posters may be excused, forum4designers.com have no excuse for using
software to post to Usenet that does not implement a 16 year old RFC
with the title "Standard for Interchange of USENET Message".
The web site in question introduces blatant errors in any
code posted to it. They are a total waste of time.
<snip>

The ongoing campaign against forum4designers.com in comp.lang.javascript
is making some headway as they have now (in the last week) added the
words: "comp.lang.javascript See group's FAQs before posting." to the
top of all of the "Javascript forum" pages (including a link to the
FAQ). Presumably in an attempt to placate their critics. It won't work
as long as they go on garbling the content of the posts they reproduce
and censoring posts that they consider critical of them.

Richard.