Auto Load of Nav Bar in Another Frame

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Blade328, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. Blade328

    Blade328 Guest

    Hello People,

    I have just started my first site; using frames; using flash navigatio
    (generator produced and not coded by me)... I have a need fo
    additional navigation but using my 'topframe' as space is running out.

    The htm code for *.swf nagivation files are held between <Object
    commands within my 'leftframenav' htm code.

    OK, now the scene is set, here comes the question. I click a link o
    the left nav bar and the link opens in my 'mainframe'. That's cool, O
    and just as planned, however, once that page has loaded, I need
    further *.swf nav bar to be placed in my 'topframe' which is called b
    opening a page from my left navigation bar.

    The position of the new nav bar needs to be exact within my 'topframe
    (do I use tables? one row at top for my logo and the bottom row for th
    nav bar?).

    So say I click a link on my left nav bar for 'Projects', thi
    'projects.htm' loads in the 'mainframe'.... what code needs to b
    included within 'projects.htm' to place a new nav bar in the 'topframe
    & within a table. The code needs to direct all of the required flas
    htm within the <Object> command associated with the nav bar.

    The generated code for the nav bars do not give me any option to inser
    additional code to do two things in different frames with one click.

    It's early and I maybe speaking gibberish.... but I hope I hav
    explained the above OK (I know very little about this stuff).

    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Many thanks in advance.

    Blade328....

    Blade32

    Blade328, Feb 11, 2004

  2. Blade328

    Steve R. Guest

    Blade328 wrote in message ...
    > OK, now the scene is set, here comes the question. I click a link on
    > the left nav bar and the link opens in my 'mainframe'. That's cool, OK
    > and just as planned, however, once that page has loaded, I need a
    > further *.swf nav bar to be placed in my 'topframe' which is called by
    > opening a page from my left navigation bar.

    Oddly enough I just stumbled across this website link below on a different
    HTML forum.

    What the designer has done is to introduce a new frameset when a link in
    the left hand column is clicked, which includes a new header and content
    frame. I'm sure it would work for you.

    When the website opens click on the "News Updater" link in the left-hand
    menu frame and see if it will work for you.

    Click on ...
    http://www.xmlssoftware.com/

    Steve R., Feb 11, 2004

  3. Blade328

    Terry Guest

    Blade328 wrote:
    > Hello People,
    >
    > I have just started my first site; using frames; using flash navigation
    > (generator produced and not coded by me)... I

    <big snip>

    > Blade328

    *ducks* and runs for the earplugs....

    Terry, Feb 11, 2004
  4. Blade328

    Blade328 Guest

    Blade328, Feb 11, 2004
  5. Blade328

    Blade328 Guest

    Blade328, Feb 11, 2004
  6. On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 02:48:12 -0600, Blade328 wrote:

    > I have just started my first site; using frames; using flash navigation

    Are you *sure* you want to do this?????

    Frames = bad idea for a newbie
    Flash navigation = bad idea for a newbie

    I say "newbie" because either technique can occasionally be used to good
    effect. But it is VERY HARD.

    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman | jeffrey AT jhu DOT edu
    Website | http://www.wse.jhu.edu/newtnotes/

    Jeffrey Silverman, Feb 11, 2004
  7. Blade328

    Blade328 Guest

    Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 02:48:12 -0600, Blade328 wrote:
    >
    > > I have just started my first site; using frames; using flas

    > navigation
    >
    > Are you *sure* you want to do this?????...........
    >
    > Jeffrey,
    >
    > Although a newbie, frames give me the site look I am after...
    > static left navigation 'frame' and a scrollable 'main frame'. Ho
    > else can this be achieved without using frames?
    >
    > I do not want a site where the whole page scrolls up... the left han
    > navigation must be static.
    >
    > The other point about flash... point taken, however, there is a lo
    > of code out there available for use without knowing the full ins
    > outs of the language. After seeing some of the effects capable, i
    > also provides an incentive to learn and eventually code fo
    > yourself.
    >
    > Blade32

    Blade32

    Blade328, Feb 12, 2004
  8. Blade328

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:03:29 -0600, Blade328
    <4designers.com> declared in alt.html:

    alt.html is a publicly available newsgroup. The website you are using is
    stealing its content directly from there and pretending that it is their
    own. There is no original material at all on the website you are looking
    at now. It is all coming directly from usenet.

    This web site ruins the threading of the messages - making it very
    confusing for us to follow, as your posts are not in the right place in
    the thread (in your case, your original post was halfway down the
    thread). Also, because you can see all the previous posts on the screen,
    you don't quote the text you are replying to - breaking one of the
    foremost conventions on Usenet.

    If you are posting from this 'forum' and have included any CSS then be
    aware that the software the forum uses will strip any leading dots from
    your CSS rules, making them invalid.

    If you are reading a usenet post using this 'forum' then be aware that
    any javascript examples you may see will have the indented formatting
    removed and will be quite hard to read, and not what the author of those
    examples intended.

    I suggest you obtain a newsreader and visit us at news:alt.html

    If you have no access to a newsreader, then try groups.google.com where
    they allow you to sign up, post, receive replies, but they don't lie and
    claim the content as there own.

    People will listen to you if you do. We are all starting to ignore any
    post from http://www.forum4designers.com

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Feb 12, 2004
  9. Blade328

    Steve R. Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote in message ...
    > We are all starting to ignore any
    > post from http://www.forum4designers.com

    No *we* are not. There have already been some useful posts sent via
    forum4designers.com

    Steve R., Feb 13, 2004
  10. Blade328

    rf Guest

    "Steve R." <stevie_ritchie(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Mark Parnell wrote in message ...
    > > We are all starting to ignore any
    > > post from http://www.forum4designers.com

    > No *we* are not. There have already been some useful posts sent via
    > forum4designers.com

    You must have your own "we". I am firmly in Marks "we" group, in fact I
    created the first draft of that note he sent to them, and I am glad to see
    it has been suitably upgraded.

    I for one am getting pissed off with them. They do not know they are posting
    to usenet so do not adhere to the unwritten protocols used here. They are
    seemingly unable to post their messages into the corect place in a thread.
    The web site in question introduces blatant errors in any code posted to it.
    They are a total waste of time.

    Then again... I am starting to think that you too are. Very close to my
    killfile...

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Feb 13, 2004
  11. Blade328

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:46:46 GMT, "Steve R."
    <stevie_ritchie(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> declared in alt.html:

    > No *we* are not. There have already been some useful posts sent via
    > forum4designers.com

    Well, *we* are. Haven't you noticed that very few people are replying to
    any of them? Especially the regulars here who really know what they are
    talking about?

    Mark Parnell, Feb 16, 2004
  12. "rf" <> wrote in message
    >"Steve R." <stevie_ritchie(NOSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>Mark Parnell wrote in message ...
    >>> We are all starting to ignore any
    >>> post from http://www.forum4designers.com

    >>No *we* are not. There have already been some useful posts
    >>sent via forum4designers.com

    >You must have your own "we". I am firmly in Marks "we"
    >group, in fact I created the first draft of that note he
    >sent to them, and I am glad to see it has been suitably upgraded.

    Thank you for also bringing forum4desginers.com's initial deception and
    ongoing incompetence to the attention of other groups. Without some sort
    of reaction they would never be motivated to change.

    <snip>
    >They are seemingly unable to post their
    >messages into the corect place in a thread.

    The failure to post to the correct place in threads is not actually the
    fault of the posters from frorum4designers.com (beyond their obviously
    misguided choice of Usenet access methods) it is a consequence of a
    failure to implement RFC 1036 (Standard for Interchange of USENET
    Messages) Section 2.2.5 (the "References" header) correctly by
    frorum4designers.com. Instead of producing a References header that
    contains the corresponding header (if any) from the post being replied
    to, and appending the message ID of that post (as per RFC 1036),
    forum4designers.com software is generating a References header
    containing all of the message IDs from any messages already posted to
    the thread (or, more likely, their concept of "view").

    Unsurprisingly, newsreader software that was designed to conform with
    RFC 1036 and get its threading information from the References header
    doesn't know how to handle the meaningless References headers that are
    sent and makes its best guess. The results are inconsistent, but
    seemingly uniformly undesirable.

    The posters may be excused, forum4designers.com have no excuse for using
    software to post to Usenet that does not implement a 16 year old RFC
    with the title "Standard for Interchange of USENET Message".

    >The web site in question introduces blatant errors in any
    >code posted to it. They are a total waste of time.

    <snip>

    The ongoing campaign against forum4designers.com in comp.lang.javascript
    is making some headway as they have now (in the last week) added the
    words: "comp.lang.javascript See group's FAQs before posting." to the
    top of all of the "Javascript forum" pages (including a link to the
    FAQ). Presumably in an attempt to placate their critics. It won't work
    as long as they go on garbling the content of the posts they reproduce
    and censoring posts that they consider critical of them.

    Richard.

    Richard Cornford, Feb 17, 2004