auto login and Post

jmacione

for some websites, it seems you can login with the username and
password in the URL through the post. Example, for yahoo.com, below,
you can repace the username with your own and mypassword wtih your own
and then you are automatically logged in.

http://login.yahoo.com/config/login?login=username&passwd=mypassword&done=http://www.yahoo.com

Im trying to do this now for other websites.
gmail.com
walgreens.com

I could use some help if anyone knows how
I cant get the post method to wrok for those sites.

Ive also tried downloaded ethereal which I found by searching previous
posts o n"post" and autologin but cant find how to get anyting
substantial out of it which would help.

Benjamin Niemann

for some websites, it seems you can login with the username and
password in the URL through the post. Example, for yahoo.com, below,
you can repace the username with your own and mypassword wtih your own
and then you are automatically logged in.

http://login.yahoo.com/config/login?login=username&passwd=mypassword&done=http://www.yahoo.com

Im trying to do this now for other websites.
gmail.com
walgreens.com

I could use some help if anyone knows how
I cant get the post method to wrok for those sites.

Ive also tried downloaded ethereal which I found by searching previous
posts o n"post" and autologin but cant find how to get anyting
substantial out of it which would help.

"post" means that the form data is *not* passed in the query part of the URL
(the part after '?' and before a '#', if there is one). The yahoo url might
be the result of a form with "method='get'".
If the server accepts the data from the query part depends entirely on the
server-side code used by these sites - this is different from site to site.
Usually it is bad practice to place the loginname/password in the query
part of the URL, because it will then be stored in server or proxy logfiles
or in your browsers history.
So in most cases it will not work.

What exactly are you trying to do? If you want to build a script which logs
in and performs some actions, you'll have to construct a POST request with
the credentials in the payload of the request.

Jon Slaughter

for some websites, it seems you can login with the username and
password in the URL through the post. Example, for yahoo.com, below,
you can repace the username with your own and mypassword wtih your own
and then you are automatically logged in.

http://login.yahoo.com/config/login?login=username&passwd=mypassword&done=http://www.yahoo.com

Im trying to do this now for other websites.
gmail.com
walgreens.com

I could use some help if anyone knows how
I cant get the post method to wrok for those sites.

Ive also tried downloaded ethereal which I found by searching previous
posts o n"post" and autologin but cant find how to get anyting
substantial out of it which would help.

The string after the ? is used on the server side for scripting purposes.
Not all sites are designed the same way or use the same scripting methods so
it won't work in general.

Jonathan N. Little

for some websites, it seems you can login with the username and
password in the URL through the post. Example, for yahoo.com, below,
you can repace the username with your own and mypassword wtih your own
and then you are automatically logged in.

http://login.yahoo.com/config/login?login=username&passwd=mypassword&done=http://www.yahoo.com
^^^^^^^^^
First of all sending a password via the query string is *not* a very
smart thing to do. Also passing info via POST (attached content) vs GET
(query string) is a different process and if a site expects data via
POST but will also receive it by GET it is a sign of very sloppy
scripting! Yahoo, hmmm I'm not surprised!

Im trying to do this now for other websites.
gmail.com
walgreens.com

I could use some help if anyone knows how
I cant get the post method to wrok for those sites.

Good, sounds like that have some rudimentary security! Why do you whant
to do this? Just too lazy to login?

Ben C

for some websites, it seems you can login with the username and
password in the URL through the post. Example, for yahoo.com, below,
you can repace the username with your own and mypassword wtih your own
and then you are automatically logged in.

http://login.yahoo.com/config/login?login=username&passwd=mypassword&done=http://www.yahoo.com

Im trying to do this now for other websites.
gmail.com
walgreens.com

I could use some help if anyone knows how
I cant get the post method to wrok for those sites.
Ive also tried downloaded ethereal which I found by searching previous
posts o n"post" and autologin but cant find how to get anyting
substantial out of it which would help.

I use curl for this kind of thing http://curl.haxx.se/

Andy Dingley

for some websites, it seems you can login with the username and
password in the URL through the post.

That's not (usually) a POST, it's a GET. It won't work for sites that
use a POST and require the parameters to be supplied as form
parameters, rather than as URL parameters.

If you're trying (as I have) to set up a simple static page on your
local computer to use as a homepage, then you can stil do this. Simply
code it with a <form>(s) on there not just an <a> link, and add the
relevant parameters as hidden fields. Reading the soure code of the
existing login page should give you a hint as to what code you need.