    opening the link.

    Regards

    Chris

    Chris, Jul 8, 2003

  2. Chris

    Evertjan. Guest

    Chris wrote on 08 jul 2003 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
    > I have noticed a number of (spam I'm afraid) emails I have received
    > lately automatically link to and open a web page embedded in the email
    > as soon as the email is opened. I know that if you open a page the
    > web server will instantly have access to the IP.
    >
    > I have two questions, 1) how is the link embedded such that it does
    > not require a click to launch it and 2) I use Outlook, how do I
    > prevent it opening the link.

    Answer for Q nr 1:

    not an asp issue, clientside coding.

    Answers for Q nr 2:

    - Never use outlook [like I never do] and this is not an asp issue.

    - Read the Help pages of Outlook, this is not an asp issue.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Jul 8, 2003

  3. Chris

    Ray at Guest

    Answer 3.

    Don't listen to Evertjan.'s suggestion of not using Outlook. Go get Outlook
    2003. There are solutions for all problems that can arise from HTML e-mail.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Jul 8, 2003
  4. Chris

    Evertjan. Guest

    Ray at <%=sLocation%> wrote on 08 jul 2003 in

    > Answer 3.
    >
    > Don't listen to Evertjan.'s suggestion of not using Outlook. Go get
    > Outlook 2003. There are solutions for all problems that can arise
    > from HTML e-mail.

    I am not an Outlook expert, never having touched it, except to unload an
    inadvertent loaded version.

    Still the marked leader runs the highest risk of a novel attack. Because it
    tis the market leader as such and because therefore most inexperienced
    cyber nitwits [mis]use it. [I am not saying this NG's crowd are among the
    last !]

    A single automatic download of an image will confirm your reading the mail
    to a spammer. Doesn't Outlook load src=http://.. images anymore ?

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Jul 8, 2003
  5. Chris

    Ray at Guest

    Wow, Evertjan., you've jumped to the top of my cool list. Do you know how
    murderous I get when people say that Outlook sucks because it is so
    susceptible to viruses? No one - now with the one exception of you -
    understands cause and effect. No one seems to understand that Outlook is no
    more vulnerable to viruses than any other mail client. No one seems to
    understand that the reason that there are so many viruses that are designed
    to proliferate via Outlook is exactly what you said. It's the number one
    e-mail client. Who the hell would waste his time writing a virus for Eudora
    or something? Obviously if you're going to write a virus for e-mail, it
    will be targeted for Outlook. And then people say that Outlook sucks
    because of it. Nobody gets it. Except you. Thanks! [:

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Jul 8, 2003