Auto Push

Arun Gandhi

Hi Everyone,

IS it possible in ASP.NET that Server should automatically push data to the
client ?

Thanks

Arun Gandhi

Marc Hoeppner

Hi,

I think this is not so much a question about ASP.NET but about the HTTP
protocoll and browsers. To my knowledge there is currently no real push
technology. What you can do independent of ASP.NET is that you can use
XMLHTTP as an object inside IE 5.x or higher to do call backs to the server.
Or you could use an invisible IFRAME that you keep refreshing every now and
then. Then the server could 'push' data to the client by answering the
continous request.

Best regards,

Marc Höppner
NeoGeo

Steve C. Orr, MCSD

No, this is not possible.
With HTTP, a request MUST initiate from the client.
Therefore about the best you could do is have a timer on a web page that,
every x seconds, requests a "push" of data if one is available. Of course
this eats a lot more bandwidth but it's your only hope without switching to
a client that is more sophisticated than a web browser.

Null

Hmm. I'm interested....What kind of client would enable this? Wouldn't you
have to have some sort of "bound" connection via tcp/ip? How would you
approach this?

I'm curious to know of examples of how this would be done....

Cheers!