auto refresh a link to pdf file

Dave

Using asp.net - is there a way to have a link to a pdf.file - that will auto
refresh the pdf file before it opens.

Thanks

Dave

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Dave,

As for the refreshing the file on serverside before a hyperlink is clicked,
there hasn't any convenient means to do so as far as I know. Because the
file is on the serverside which need to use serverside code to manipulate ,
however the hyperlink click event is at clientside.

My suggestion is that you do not directly expose the files on the server
via hyperlinks to user. You can use serverside code to write the file
stream into the asp.net web page's response stream so as to perform the
same function. Also, we can even store the files in database and retrieve
them as binary data from database and write down to page's response stream.
Here are some tech articles and former threads discussing on this:

#HOW TO: Write Binary Files to the Browser Using ASP.NET and Visual Basic
..NET
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307603

#HOW TO: Write Binary Files to the Browser Using ASP.NET and Visual C# .NET
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306654

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=uP1pG8ZfDHA.2352%
40TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl&rnum=9&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26
q%3Dasp.net%2Bwrite%2Bdownload%2Bstream

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=#bwhcDCAEHA.320
%40cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl&rnum=6&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%2
6q%3Dasp.net%2B%2Bwrite%2Bpdf%2Bstream%26btnG%3DSearch

Hope helps. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Dave,

Have you had a chance to check out the suggestions in my last reply or have
you got any further ideas on this issue? If you have anything unclear or if
there're anything else we can help, please feel free to post here. Thanks.