    Is there a functional equivalent for Mac? Linux?
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (Pete Cresswell), Oct 22, 2004

  2. (Pete Cresswell)

    Toby Inkster Guest

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:

    > I'm using a freebie called ShellExe for Windows. Works a-ok.
    > Is there a functional equivalent for Mac? Linux?

    Linux is a sensible OS so will not run a (potentially dangerous)
    executable from a CD automatically.

    I would guess that Mac OS is the same in this respect.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Oct 22, 2004

  3. (Pete Cresswell)

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html (Pete Cresswell) said:

    > I'm using a freebie called ShellExe for Windows. Works a-ok.

    you don't need it. win has its own giggly thingy called shellexecute
    already built in.

    > Is there a functional equivalent for Mac?

    don't they have a key on the side you need to wind up?

    > Linux?

    one step at a time. first you need to configure linux to recognize you
    even have a CD type device. if its a dvd+r/rw you'll have to spend days
    on the net looking for a driver that doesn't exist because the drive is
    less than 5 years old.

    --

    v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 22, 2004
  4. brucie wrote:
    >>Linux?

    > one step at a time. first you need to configure linux to recognize you
    > even have a CD type device.

    Very funny. My Sony CRX320E DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive was detected perfectly
    by both Mandrake 10.1's and Fedora Core 2's installers, ditto for
    whatever's in my old Dell box and the crappy $200 box I bought at
    Wal-Mart to test things on without worrying if it blows up.

    Leif K-Brooks, Oct 22, 2004
  5. (Pete Cresswell)

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Leif K-Brooks said:

    >> one step at a time. first you need to configure linux to recognize you
    >> even have a CD type device.

    > Very funny.

    thankyou. i try my best to entertain

    > My Sony CRX320E DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive

    i have a generic special

    > was detected perfectly by both Mandrake 10.1's

    since version 7 the install program crashed when detecting the HDD. only
    a few months ago i purchased a new HDD so i could install MD10. but
    there were other issues with it that made it unusable.

    > and Fedora Core 2's installers,

    FD1 totally trashed my setup upgrading from RH9 so i didn't bother
    trying FD2

    > ditto for whatever's in my old Dell box and the crappy $200 box I
    > bought at Wal-Mart to test things on without worrying if it blows up.

    RH9 doesn't have a problem with cd-r/rw or playing a dvd but it wont
    burn a dvd.

    mute point anyway. i cant connect to the net using linux so i don't even
    know why i still have it installed.

    --

    v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 22, 2004
  6. (Pete Cresswell)

    Dylan Parry Guest

    As an authority on the subject, brucie proclaimed:

    > FD1 totally trashed my setup upgrading from RH9 so i didn't bother
    > trying FD2

    One tip I'd give here is to back-up your important stuff and do a full
    install rather than an upgrade. Upgrades are quite dodgy with Linux (as
    they are with Windows) and a fresh install is always better.

    --
    Dylan Parry
    http://webpageworkshop.co.uk - FREE Web tutorials and references

    Dylan Parry, Oct 22, 2004
  7. (Pete Cresswell)

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Dylan Parry said:

    >> FD1 totally trashed my setup upgrading from RH9 so i didn't bother
    >> trying FD2

    > One tip I'd give here is to back-up your important stuff

    i didn't have any important stuff but thankfully i had the sense to
    backup configuration files that took days to write and get working
    properly.

    > and do a full install rather than an upgrade.

    usually my first choice but ... well ... it was a new toy and i wanted
    to play with it now! not after 3hrs of clean installing.

    > Upgrades are quite dodgy with Linux (as they are with Windows) and a
    > fresh install is always better.

    so very true

    --

    v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 22, 2004
  8. (Pete Cresswell)

    Neal Guest

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 07:30:16 +1000, brucie <> wrote:

    > mute point anyway.

    Can't talk? ;)

    "Moot" point, I believe...

    Neal, Oct 22, 2004
  9. (Pete Cresswell)

    Dylan Parry Guest

    As an authority on the subject, brucie proclaimed:

    > i didn't have any important stuff but thankfully i had the sense to
    > backup configuration files that took days to write and get working
    > properly.

    Yes, very sensible. I usually backup fstab, httpconf, xorg.conf
    (XF86Config) and a couple of other things like shell scripts for stuff I
    want to open on startup etc. I always forget to backup something, and
    don't realise until it's too late -- last time it was the local copies of
    all my websites :(

    Dylan Parry, Oct 22, 2004
  10. (Pete Cresswell)

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Neal said:

    >> mute point anyway.

    > Can't talk? ;)

    stupid newsreader thingy should have picked up what i meant not what i
    said.

    > "Moot" point, I believe...

    i'll moot you if you're not careful with a blunt pair of scissors.

    --

    v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 22, 2004
  11. (Pete Cresswell)

    Neal Guest

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 08:37:22 +1000, brucie <> wrote:

    > i'll moot you if you're not careful with a blunt pair of scissors.

    All I'm getting is rage from you, brucie!

    Where's the love? The love!

    Neal, Oct 22, 2004
  12. (Pete Cresswell)

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Neal said:

    >> i'll moot you if you're not careful with a blunt pair of scissors.

    > All I'm getting is rage from you, brucie!

    why are you surprised? typical insensitive man, needs everything
    explained to them.

    > Where's the love? The love!

    wheres the phone call? the phone call! GF is back in only 2 days

    --

    v o i c e s

    brucie, Oct 22, 2004